Calculating Angles between Vectors: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, The formula for finding the angle between two vectors is angle=cos-1[(u.v)/(||U||||v||)], where u and v are the given vectors. However, in order to use this formula, the dot product of the two vectors must be a scalar (a number), not a vector. The dot product is defined as ad+ be+ cf, not as ad\vec{i}+ be\vec{j}+ cf\vec{k}.
pokerfan91
ive got the formula down as angle=cos-1[(u.v)/(||U||||v||)

with my u as 3,1,2 and v as -2,3,4 this gives me cos-1[(-6i+3j+8k)/root406) where do i go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is dot product supposed to give you? What did you get instead?

that is what the dot product is ment to give me isn't it i just have no idea where to go after that to get the angle

No it isn't. The dot product is supposed to give you a scalar (ie a number), but you wrote that it gives you a vector. You can't very well take the arccosine of a vector can you?

[tex]a\vec{i}+ b\vec{j}+ c\vec{k}\cdot d\vec{i}+ e\vec{j}+ f\vec{k}[/tex]
is defined as
[tex]ad+ be+ cf[/tex]
a number, NOT as
[tex]ad\vec{i}+ be\vec{j}+ cf\vec{k}[/tex]

Related to Calculating Angles between Vectors: Step-by-Step Guide

What are angles between vectors?

Angles between vectors refer to the measurement of the angle formed by two vectors in a given space. It is a way to quantify the relationship between two vectors and can provide information about their direction and magnitude.

How do you calculate angles between vectors?

The most common way to calculate the angle between two vectors is by using the dot product formula. This involves taking the dot product of the two vectors and dividing it by the product of their magnitudes. The resulting value can then be used to find the angle using inverse trigonometric functions.

Why is it important to find angles between vectors?

Angles between vectors can provide valuable information in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can help determine the direction of forces, the orientation of objects, and the relationship between different variables.

What is the range of angles between vectors?

The range of angles between vectors is typically between 0 and 180 degrees, or 0 and π radians. This is because the angle formed by two vectors can never be negative, and the maximum angle possible is when the two vectors are pointing in opposite directions.

Can angles between vectors be negative?

No, angles between vectors cannot be negative. This is because the direction of the angle is determined by the order of the vectors and not their magnitude. Therefore, the angle between two vectors will always be positive, regardless of their orientation.