Calculating Angle in a Cone

In summary: Rest well!In summary, to find the angle alpha in a cone, you can use trigonometry and the height of the cone, which is defined as 1/3 of the circumference of the base. The formula for finding alpha is given as h=(2*pi*r)/3. If you need to find the hypotenuse, you can use the Pythagorean theorem.
chawki

Homework Statement

The height h of the cone is 1/3 of l the circumference of the base .

Homework Equations

Calculate the angle alpha. Give your answer with 2 decimals.

The Attempt at a Solution

h=1/3 * 2*Pi*r

and then we don't have the radius

Attachments

• Cone.JPEG
    Cone.JPEG
    2.9 KB · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org

you do have r, r=r. you have a right triangle with base opposite side equal to r and an adjacent side = 2pi*r/3. apply some trigonometry and you should be able to find alpha

I'm curious about how you're able to get an exact answer to this problem even though it's given in general terms. I hope someone could shed some light on this.

armolinasf said:
you do have r, r=r. you have a right triangle with base opposite side equal to r and an adjacent side = 2pi*r/3. apply some trigonometry and you should be able to find alpha

where did that ''adjacent side = 2pi*r/3'' came from :bugeye:

If you make a a right triangle with right angle at the base and angle alpha as the vertex. The side adjacent to angle alpha is the height of the cone which is defined as h=(2*pi*r)/3

i have to say this is new for me..can you please demostrate how to got it?
also if there is a pre-defined formula for the hypotenuese i would be glad to know it

chawki said:
i have to say this is new for me..can you please demostrate how to got it?
also if there is a pre-defined formula for the hypotenuese i would be glad to know it

OH my lord..i just asked to demostrate that and forgot that it was given :rolleyes: i should go to sleep :frown:

Haha...we've all been there at some point, it'll probably do a world of good to get some sleep

Related to Calculating Angle in a Cone

1. What is the formula for calculating the angle in a cone?

The formula for calculating the angle in a cone is arctan(radius/height), where arctan is the inverse tangent function and represents the angle in radians.

2. How do I measure the radius and height of a cone?

You can measure the radius of a cone by finding the distance from the center of the circular base to the edge. The height of a cone can be measured by finding the distance from the tip of the cone to the base, along the center line.

3. Can the angle in a cone be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the angle in a cone cannot be greater than 90 degrees. This is because the angle is measured from the center of the circular base to the edge, and the edge of a cone cannot exceed the length of its radius.

4. What units are used to measure the angle in a cone?

The angle in a cone is typically measured in degrees or radians. Degrees are more commonly used in everyday measurements, while radians are used in mathematical calculations.

5. Can the angle in a cone be negative?

No, the angle in a cone cannot be negative. This is because the angle is always measured in a counter-clockwise direction from the positive x-axis, and a negative angle would indicate a clockwise rotation.