Calculating Amplitude and Energy in a Damped Oscillator: A Homework Question

In summary, the oscillator has an amplitude that decreases by 1.00% during each complete oscillation and at what time the energy will be reduced to 64.0% of its initial value.
UMDstudent

Homework Statement

An oscillator with a mass of 520 g and a period of 0.500 s has an amplitude that decreases by 1.00% during each complete oscillation.

PART A : If the initial amplitude is 10.2cm , what will be the amplitude after 43.0 oscillations?

PART B: At what time will the energy be reduced to 64.0% of its initial value?

Homework Equations

Xmax(t) = Ae^(-bt/2m)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've spent the past hour reviewing the problem and reading the textbook but I cannot seem to get a grip on our to successfully complete either PART A or B. Starting with PART A, we have the unknown b and if you solve for b, you will have the unknown of xmax (amplitude after 43 oscillations). I'm frustrated with the problem and I'm hoping to get some help.

We know the amplitude, the time, and the mass. We don't know the damping constant (b)

Thanks,

UMDstudent

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you're making it too difficult by focusing on the exponential decay equation. If the amplitude decreases by 1% each oscillation, then after one oscillation the amplitude is .99*10.2cm; after two it is .99*(.99*10.2cm); then .99*(.99*.99*10.2cm) and so on.

Assuming the period is constant then the second part shouldn't be too difficult; you might first calculate the number of oscillations that would lead to 64% of the energy, then calculate the time.

Great recommendation. The first part is correct; essentially you just take .99 multiplied by the original amplitude. As for the second part, I believe the answer is 22.2 seconds but mastering physics says I am wrong. I came to 22 seconds by : 44.4 oscillations to reach 64 % of initial value (6.5 of 10.2). Divided it by 2 (since it takes .5000 seconds). Any ideas?

UMDstudent said:
Great recommendation. The first part is correct; essentially you just take .99 multiplied by the original amplitude. As for the second part, I believe the answer is 22.2 seconds but mastering physics says I am wrong. I came to 22 seconds by : 44.4 oscillations to reach 64 % of initial value (6.5 of 10.2). Divided it by 2 (since it takes .5000 seconds). Any ideas?

64% of initial value of amplitude is not equal to 64% of initial value of energy

So we solve for total energy; in this case : E = U + K = 1/2kA^2 + 1/2mv^2. Our unknowns become both k & v so once we solve for these unknown's and add them into this equation, we would need 64% of this value?

Not quite. U + K is the total energy, but they both change during the motion. For a harmonic oscillator, U = 1/2k*x^2 where x is the displacement from equilibrium. A is the maximum displacement from equilibrium, but what is the kinetic energy at this displacement?

The kinetic energy at the turning point (the maximum displacement from equilibrium) would be equal to zero.U = 1/2*K*A^2. Wouldn't this be the total energy of the equation?

U = 1/2 (82.1)(.102)^2

k = omega^2 * Mass = 82.1

U = .427
------------------------------------------------
K = 1/2 mv^2
K = 1/2 (.52)(4.01)^2
K = 4.18

v = square root (k/m * A)
------------------------------------------------
Total Energy = K + U

TE = 4.61

64% of TE = 2.95.

TE - 64% = 1.66 ?(Sorry for double post)

Last edited:
BUMP... I need some clarification to see if I am correct?

Related to Calculating Amplitude and Energy in a Damped Oscillator: A Homework Question

1. What is amplitude?

Amplitude is the maximum displacement or distance from equilibrium of a wave or oscillation. It is a measure of the strength or intensity of the wave. In other words, it represents the maximum height of a wave from its resting position.

2. How is amplitude related to energy?

The amplitude of a wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that a wave with a higher amplitude carries more energy than a wave with a lower amplitude. This relationship is described by the equation E ∝ A², where E is energy and A is amplitude.

3. What is the difference between amplitude and frequency?

Amplitude and frequency are two different properties of a wave. While amplitude is the maximum displacement from equilibrium, frequency is the number of complete oscillations or cycles per unit time. In other words, it is the rate at which the wave repeats itself.

4. How is amplitude measured?

Amplitude is typically measured in units of length (e.g. meters) for mechanical waves and units of electric field strength (e.g. volts per meter) for electromagnetic waves. It can be measured using specialized instruments such as an oscilloscope or by using mathematical calculations based on the wave's characteristics.

5. What factors affect the amplitude of a wave?

The amplitude of a wave can be affected by various factors, including the energy of the source, the distance from the source, and the medium through which the wave travels. In addition, the amplitude can also be affected by the properties of the medium, such as its density and elasticity. Other factors, such as interference and damping, can also impact the amplitude of a wave.