Calculating Air Bag Inflation Rate for Exhaust Powered Vehicle Jack

In summary, the conversation revolved around designing an exhaust-powered vehicle car jack air bag and calculating the necessary equations for inflation and stress analysis. The individual has calculated the mass flow rate and velocity of the exhaust gases, but is unsure of which equations to use for inflation and how to determine the number of moles in the given equation (PV = nRT). The composition of the exhaust, including unburnt N2, CO2, and H2O, was also discussed, with the potential for water to condense in the air bag.
faiz513
I am designing an exhaust powered vehicle car jack air bag. I have calculated the mass flow rate and velocity of the exhaust gases leaving the vehicles exhaust pipe. I need to calculate the amount of time it will take to inflate an air bag of a particular size. What equations do I need to be using in order to calcualte the rate of inflation? Also I need to calcuate the stresses the air bag will have to withstand in order to lift the vehicle. I have taken fluid mechanics but I am having trouble figuring out which equations to use.

Thanks for the help...

Engineering news on Phys.org
PV = nRT

how would I get (n) for the above equation?

n is the number of moles.
Mostly coming out of the exhaust is unburnt N2 (80%) of air, CO2 an H2O
You said you know the mass flow of exhaust, you can probably lookup the chemical composition of exhaust (it's probably in the clean air act etc) otherwise just assume air.
The tricky part is probably water, it will come out as a gas but condense in the bag.

Related to Calculating Air Bag Inflation Rate for Exhaust Powered Vehicle Jack

What is the purpose of calculating the air bag inflation rate for an exhaust powered vehicle jack?

The purpose of calculating the air bag inflation rate is to determine the amount of air that needs to be released into the air bag for it to properly lift and support the weight of the vehicle. This ensures the safety and stability of the vehicle during lifting.

What factors affect the air bag inflation rate for an exhaust powered vehicle jack?

The factors that affect the air bag inflation rate include the weight of the vehicle, the size and capacity of the air bag, the pressure of the exhaust source, and the angle and position of the exhaust pipe in relation to the air bag.

How do you calculate the air bag inflation rate?

The air bag inflation rate can be calculated by dividing the weight of the vehicle by the surface area of the air bag. This will give you the pressure required to inflate the air bag to properly lift the vehicle. The pressure can then be converted to the appropriate amount of air to be released from the exhaust.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when calculating the air bag inflation rate?

Yes, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines when calculating the air bag inflation rate. It is also important to ensure that the exhaust source is clean and free of any obstructions or leaks, and that the air bag is properly positioned and secured before inflation.

Can the air bag inflation rate be adjusted for different types of vehicles?

Yes, the air bag inflation rate may need to be adjusted for different types of vehicles depending on their weight and size. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for the appropriate inflation rate for each specific vehicle.