Calculating acceleration when only have time and distance

In summary, the car travels 400m in 60s with a constant velocity for 40s, and accelerating and decelerating for 10s each. Using the area under the velocity vs time graph, we can determine that the acceleration is 0.4m/s. Drawing a graph was helpful in understanding the problem.
artworkmonkey

Homework Statement

A car travels 400m in 60s. The first 10s it accelerates from stationary. The last 10 seconds it decelerates back to stationary. For the middle 40s it has a constant velocity. What is the acceleration?

Homework Equations

None given

The Attempt at a Solution

Using only time and distance traveled I can only think how to calculate the average velocity: Vave = distance traveled / time = 6.67 m/s. I don't so much need an answer, more some guidance of where to begin. I'm pretty stuck. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe start graphically? You might find some inspiration. Make a sketch of velocity versus time. You don't know the cruising speed yet, so leave that as a variable. Now, what do you know about the area under a velocity vs time graph?

Likes artworkmonkey
The area under the graph should equal the displacement, so the total area should equal 400m. I have drawn a graph (attached). When a put the acceleration and deceleration together the area is exactly one 5th of the time spent cruising: therefore, the amount of time spent accelerating and decelerating is one 5th of 400m = 80 meters. Divide this by 2 and the car moved 40 meters in 10 seconds.
Acceleration = distance/time^2 = 40m/10^2 = 0.4m/s

Does this sound right? Making a sketch was good advise because it is starting to make sense to me. Just hope I have taken a wrong turn somewhere.

Attachments

• Time vs Velocity.png
    Time vs Velocity.png
    17 KB · Views: 612
Very close indeed. However: ##distance = \frac{1}{2} Acceleration \cdot time^2##. So fix that up and you should be good.

Likes artworkmonkey
Yay! Thank you for your help. I've been staring at this question since yesterday, and actually drawing it was brilliant advice. Thank you!

What is acceleration and how is it calculated?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, typically in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

Is it possible to calculate acceleration with only time and distance?

Yes, it is possible to calculate acceleration with only time and distance if the initial velocity is known. The formula is: acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. Negative acceleration, also known as deceleration, occurs when an object is slowing down. It is represented by a negative value in the calculation.

What are the units of acceleration?

The units of acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2). However, in some cases, acceleration can be measured in different units such as miles per hour squared (mi/h^2) or kilometers per hour squared (km/h^2).

How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration affects an object's motion by changing its velocity over time. Positive acceleration will increase an object's velocity, while negative acceleration will decrease it. The direction of acceleration also affects an object's motion, as acceleration in the same direction as the velocity will cause the object to speed up, while acceleration in the opposite direction will cause it to slow down.