Calculating Acceleration of a System with Two Crates on a Horizontal Surface

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a problem involving two crates of different masses on a horizontal surface, with an applied force and friction involved. The questioner presents their method of solving and asks for confirmation, to which the group confirms the method is correct and explains the concept of center of mass in relation to the problem.
Genericcoder
I have a question on block that I was solving in my book.
I got the answer right but different procedures for doing it I want to make sure my logic is correct,and I didn't get the answer out of probability.

Two crates of mass 75kg and 110kg, are in contact and at rest on a horizontal surface. A 620N force is exerted on the 75kg crate. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.15, calculate a)The acceleration of the system.

Here I solved as follows:-

Fnet1 = F1 - F12 - Ff1 --> F1 - f12 - Ff1 = (m1)(a);

Fnet2 = F21 - Ff2 --> F21 - Ff2 = (m2)(a);

We know since objects are in horizontal plane then normal force is equal to weight of objects.
Fn1 = (m1)(a); --> Ff1 = (u)(m1)(a);
Fn2 = (m2)(a); --> Ff2 = (u)(m2)(a);

Fnet1 -> F1 - F12 - (u)(m1)(a) = (m1)(a);
Fnet2 -> F21 - (u)(m2)(a) = (m2)(a);

Adding both equations together we'll get net acceleration on the system.

F1 - F12 - um1g + F21 - um2g = m1a + m2a;

F - (u)(m1)(g) - (u)(m2)(g) = (a)(m1 + m2);
(F - (u)(m1)(g) - (u)(m2)(g)) / (m1 + m2) = a;

Substituting in for values we'll get the following:-

a = 1.9 m/s^2 ,which is the same answer as in my book but my book got it as follows:-

Fx = F1 - Fr = (m1 + m2)(a);

F1 - Fr = (m1 + m2)(a) -> a = (F1 - Fr) / (m1 + m2);
Substituting for values he got that answer which is the same as mine.
So did I do something wrong here or maybe somewhere in my math could be modified to get that same formula.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct. The book might mean the force of friction on Fr and uses the result of a derivation, the same what you applied: The acceleration of the CM of a system of interacting bodies equals the resultant of the external forces divided by the total mass.

The external forces are the applied force F and the forces of friction (and the normal force and gravity which cancel each other).

ehild

Both methods look correct. Whichever way you view it, the applied force must overcome friction, and then the excess accelerates the combined bodies.

We are dealing with center of mass. So total mass is m1+m2.
The center of mass is accelerating.

Thanks guys that makes sense :).

Related to Calculating Acceleration of a System with Two Crates on a Horizontal Surface

1. What is meant by "forces on block question"?

Forces on block question refers to the study of the various forces that act upon a block object, such as gravity, friction, and applied forces, and how they affect its motion.

2. How do you calculate the net force on a block?

The net force on a block is calculated by adding together all the forces acting on the block in the same direction, and subtracting any forces acting in the opposite direction. This can be represented by the equation Fnet = ΣF, where Fnet is the net force and ΣF is the sum of all the forces.

3. What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces on a block?

Balanced forces on a block refer to situations where the net force is equal to zero, resulting in no change in the block's motion. Unbalanced forces, on the other hand, result in a non-zero net force and cause a change in the block's motion, such as acceleration or deceleration.

4. How does the weight of a block affect the forces acting on it?

The weight of a block, which is the force of gravity acting on it, is one of the forces that affects its motion. The weight can be broken down into two components, the normal force and the force of friction, which can either oppose or support the motion of the block.

5. Can you give an example of an applied force on a block?

An applied force on a block can be any force that is exerted on the block by an external object or agent, such as a person pushing a block or a car pulling a trailer. Other examples include wind pushing a sailboat or a magnet pulling a metal block.