Calculating Acceleration and Direction of Objects on a Ramp

In summary: You can't do either independently of the other. They are linked by the normal force between them. Introduce that as an unknown and write out the usual F=ma equation for each body.
goonking

Homework Statement

upload_2016-7-24_19-30-38.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I find the accelerations of each block, separate the accelerations into Y and X components and then add them as vectors.

for B:
upload_2016-7-24_19-53-31.png

B goes down the ramp with an acceleration of 3.35 m/s^2
X component : (3.35)(cos 20) = 3.15 m/s^2 to the right
Y component : (3.35)(sin 20) = 1.145 m/s^2 downwards
upload_2016-7-24_20-17-53.png

for A :
I add the Y component of the Normal force of B on A, to the weight of wedge A.

Y component of the Normal force of B on A = 80 N
Weight of Wedge A = 215.6 N

adding both : 80 N + 215.6 N = 295 N
but the slope is 30 degrees, so the force along the slope is : (295 N) ( sin 30) = 148 N

to find the acceleration of A down the ramp : F = ma

148 N = ( 22 kg) (a)
a = 6.72 m/s^2
x component : 5.811 m/s^2 to the left
y component : 3.36 m/s^2 downwards

now adding components , total x component is 2.66 m/s^2 to the left
and 4.505 m/s^2 downwards

therefore acceleration of B is 5.23 m/s^2 with direction 59.5 degrees below the the horizontal, directed to the left.Now, all this is wrong because the answer aB =5.94 m/s^2, 75.7 degrees below the horizontal, directed to the right.

Where did I go wrong? Did I have the right idea but miscalculated?

Physics news on Phys.org
goonking said:
B goes down the ramp with an acceleration of 3.35 m/s^2
That would be true if the ramp were static. Are you sure it is true if the ramp is itself accelerating?
You need to be clear when discussing B's acceleration whether you mean absolute or relative to A.

haruspex said:
That would be true if the ramp were static. Are you sure it is true if the ramp is itself accelerating?
You need to be clear when discussing B's acceleration whether you mean absolute or relative to A.
yes, that was my error, I thought I could take the a point as the origin, and just divide the problem into two separate ones, find the acceleration of both relative to the origin and just add up the vectors but that clearly isn't working out.

I would need to find the acceleration of B relative to A, and in order to do that, I would need to find the acceleration of A (with respect to the origin) first, correct?

goonking said:
I would need to find the acceleration of B relative to A, and in order to do that, I would need to find the acceleration of A (with respect to the origin) first, correct?
You can't do either independently of the other. They are linked by the normal force between them. Introduce that as an unknown and write out the usual F=ma equation for each body.

goonking said:
Y component of the Normal force of B on A = 80 N
may i know how do you get this?

Related to Calculating Acceleration and Direction of Objects on a Ramp

1. What is the definition of kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How does the angle of a ramp affect the motion of an object?

The angle of a ramp, also known as the incline, affects the motion of an object by changing the direction and speed of the object's motion. The steeper the angle, the faster the object will accelerate down the ramp.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two stationary surfaces from moving against each other, while kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of two surfaces sliding against each other. In the context of a ramp, static friction would hold the object in place until enough force is applied for the object to overcome the friction and start sliding down the ramp.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its motion on a ramp?

The mass of an object affects its motion on a ramp by determining the amount of force needed to move the object. Heavier objects require more force to move up or down a ramp compared to lighter objects. This is due to the influence of gravity, which pulls on objects with greater mass with a greater force.

5. What is the role of acceleration in kinematics on a ramp?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. On a ramp, acceleration plays a crucial role in determining how quickly an object is able to move down the ramp. The steeper the incline, the greater the acceleration and the faster the object will move down the ramp.