Calculating a and b in 3D Unit Vector Question for Test Prep

In summary, the conversation discusses a textbook question involving calculating the values of a and b given the vectors u=ai+2j+4k and v=3i+bj+k. The speaker also asks for any thoughts on the problem, to which the other person responds that they have already solved it.
Wardlaw
I was given the question,

If u=ai+2j+4k and v=3i+bj+k, calculate a and b
in a textbook from school (revision for a test).

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
(Moderator's note: thread moved from "General Math")

Wardlaw said:
I was given the question,

If u=ai+2j+4k and v=3i+bj+k, calculate a and b
in a textbook from school (revision for a test).
It looks like more information is needed to solve the problem. What are the constraints on u and v? Do they need to be parallel, or perpendicular, or something else? If they're just arbitrary vectors, a and b could be anything.
Any thoughts?
Please give us yours first...:wink:

No need! Done it.

Related to Calculating a and b in 3D Unit Vector Question for Test Prep

1. How do you calculate the components a and b in a 3D unit vector?

To calculate the components a and b in a 3D unit vector, you will need to use the Pythagorean theorem. First, find the magnitude of the vector by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the three components. Then, divide each component by the magnitude to get the unit vector. The a component would be the cosine of the angle between the vector and the x-axis, and the b component would be the sine of the angle.

2. What is the purpose of calculating a and b in a 3D unit vector?

Calculating the components a and b in a 3D unit vector allows us to represent a vector in a specific direction and with a specific magnitude. This is useful in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics, where vectors are commonly used to represent forces, velocities, and directions.

3. Can a and b in a 3D unit vector be negative?

Yes, the components a and b in a 3D unit vector can be negative. The sign of the components depends on the direction of the vector and the orientation of the coordinate system being used. A negative component simply indicates that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive component.

4. How do you know if a 3D vector is a unit vector?

A 3D vector is considered a unit vector if its magnitude is equal to 1. To determine the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. If the magnitude is equal to 1, then the vector is a unit vector. Additionally, the components a and b should both be between -1 and 1 for a 3D vector to be considered a unit vector.

5. How is a 3D unit vector used in test preparation?

In test preparation, 3D unit vectors may be used in problems related to geometry, physics, and engineering. They may also be used in computer science and programming courses for tasks such as 3D graphics and game development. Knowing how to calculate a and b in a 3D unit vector can help students solve a variety of problems and better understand vector operations and applications.