Calculating 4 Integral: A Tan & Cos Theta Substitution

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion on how to calculate the integral 4 \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\cos^2 \theta}{(1 + \cos^2 \theta)^2} d \theta using different substitution methods. The conversation also includes a clarification on the derivatives of trigonometric functions \tan \theta and \sec \theta, as well as the identity 1 + \tan^2 \theta = \sec^2 \theta. The final solution is given as \frac{\pi\sqrt{2}}{16}.
flybyme

Homework Statement

how would one calculate [tex] 4 \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\cos^2 \theta}{(1 + \cos^2 \theta)^2} d \theta [/tex]?

The Attempt at a Solution

someone suggested a [tex]u = \tan \theta[/tex] substitution, but i don't understand why and how this would help me. couldn't i just use [tex]u = \cos t[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Divide top and bottom by [tex]\cos^4\theta[/tex].

The function becomes [tex]\frac{\sec^2\theta}{(\sec^2\theta+1)^2}[/tex]

Does that make [tex]u=\tan\theta[/tex] looks like a good move?

u = cos t is probably a bad move, because du = -sin t dt and the sin t doesn't cancel with anything.

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
Divide top and bottom by [tex]\cos^4\theta[/tex].

The function becomes [tex]\frac{\sec^2\theta}{(\sec^2\theta+1)^2}[/tex]

Does that make [tex]u=\tan\theta[/tex] looks like a good move?

the only trig functions we learn here are tan, cos and sin, so I'm not really sure... :)

u = cos t is probably a bad move, because du = -sin t dt and the sin t doesn't cancel with anything.

wouldn't i get du = -sin t dt = -sqrt(1 - cos^2 t) = -sqrt(1 - u^2) dt?

because then the integral should translate to [tex]-4 \int_1^0 \frac{u^2}{ (u^2+1)(1-u^2)^{1/2} } du[/tex], or am i wrong?

flybyme said:
the only trig functions we learn here are tan, cos and sin, so I'm not really sure... :)

I agree with what you had in the last post, except, wouldn't it be (1+u^2)^2 in the denominator? Anyway, now what?

Last edited:

yeah, I've never understood why that is so...

flybyme said:

wouldn't i get du = -sin t dt = -sqrt(1 - cos^2 t) = -sqrt(1 - u^2) dt?

because then the integral should translate to [tex]-4 \int_1^0 \frac{u^2}{ (u^2+1)(1-u^2)^{1/2} } du[/tex], or am i wrong?

what is the derivative of [tex]\tan \theta[/tex]?

also do you know [tex]1+\tan^2\theta =\sec^2\theta[/tex]?

I edited my post just a little too late... isn't it [tex](u^2 + 1)^2[/tex] in the denominator?

drpizza said:
I edited my post just a little too late... isn't it [tex](u^2 + 1)^2[/tex] in the denominator?

oops. yeah, that's right.

mjsd said:
also do you know [tex]1+\tan^2\theta =\sec^2\theta[/tex]?

no, i didn't know that. :)

so i would get [tex]4 \int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{\sec^2 \theta}{(\sec^2 \theta + 1)^2} d \theta = 4 \int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{\tan^2 \theta + 1}{(\tan^2 \theta + 2)^2} d \theta = 4 \int_0^{\Omega} \frac{u^2 + 1}{(u^2 + 2)^2(u^2 + 1)} du = 4 \int_0^{\Omega} \frac{du}{(u^2 + 2)^2}[/tex]

as [tex]u = \tan \theta[/tex] and [tex]du = (1 + \tan^2 \theta) d \theta = (1 + u^2) d \theta[/tex].

does that seem correct? I'm unsure on what [tex]\Omega[/tex] would be though, as [tex]\tan \pi/2 = \infty[/tex]

Last edited:
Ahh Nope, [tex]\int \frac{\sec^2\theta}{(\sec^2\theta+1)^2} d\theta[/tex] becomes [tex]\int \frac{1}{u^2} du[/tex] when u = tan theta, because the derivative of tan theta is (sec theta)^2.

In case you don't know Sec x = 1/(cos x) by definition.

Gib Z said:
Ahh Nope, [tex]\int \frac{\sec^2\theta}{(\sec^2\theta+1)^2} d\theta[/tex] becomes [tex]\int \frac{1}{u^2} du[/tex] when u = tan theta

Oops... you mean [tex]\int \frac{1}{(u^2+2)^2} du[/tex]

1 + tan^2 x = sec^2 x

NOT 1 + sec^x = tan^2 x !

(And even if that was true, it would have been u^4 not u^2)

Sorry about that, your right of course AlephZero.

[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi }{2}}\frac{\cos ^{2}x}{\left( 1+\cos ^{2}x\right) ^{2}}dx=\allowbreak \int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{1}{\left( 1+p^{2}\right) ^{2}\left( 1+\frac{1}{1+p^{2}}\right) ^{2}}\,dp=\int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{1}{\left( 2+p^{2}\right) ^{2}}\,dp\allowbreak [/tex]

[tex] =\allowbreak \int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}\pi }\frac{\sqrt{2}}{4+4\tan ^{2}q}\,dq=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{4}\int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}\pi }\cos ^{2}q \ {} \ dq=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{4}\frac{\pi }{4}=\frac{\pi\sqrt{2}}{16}[/tex]

Would I be the only person to be a tiny bit confused as to what exactly dexter did ...

Last edited:
Would it help if you knew that [itex] \tan x=p [/itex] and [itex] p=\sqrt{2}\tan q [/itex] ?

Ahh yup it did :D

Related to Calculating 4 Integral: A Tan & Cos Theta Substitution

1. What is a Tan & Cos Theta Substitution?

A Tan & Cos Theta Substitution is a mathematical technique used to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions. It involves substituting the variable with a new variable that is equal to the tangent of the original variable, and then using the Pythagorean identity to simplify the integral.

2. Why is a Tan & Cos Theta Substitution helpful in calculating integrals?

The Tan & Cos Theta Substitution allows for the integral to be simplified to a more manageable form, making it easier to solve. It also helps to eliminate complex trigonometric functions and reduce the number of terms in the integral.

3. How do you perform a Tan & Cos Theta Substitution?

To perform a Tan & Cos Theta Substitution, you first identify the integral that involves a trigonometric function. Then, substitute the variable with a new variable equal to the tangent of the original variable. Finally, use the Pythagorean identity to simplify the integral.

4. What is the Pythagorean identity?

The Pythagorean identity is a fundamental trigonometric identity that states: sin^2(theta) + cos^2(theta) = 1. It can also be written as tan^2(theta) + 1 = sec^2(theta) or 1 + cot^2(theta) = csc^2(theta). This identity is used in a Tan & Cos Theta Substitution to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions.

5. When should a Tan & Cos Theta Substitution be used?

A Tan & Cos Theta Substitution should be used when solving integrals that involve trigonometric functions, especially those that contain the terms sin^2(theta) or cos^2(theta). It is a useful technique for simplifying and evaluating these types of integrals.