Calculate your average velocity from pillar to post

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the average speed and average velocity of a runner who starts at a pillar, runs 200m east at a speed of 5.0m/s, and then runs 280m west at a speed of 4.0m/s. The total distance and time for the trip are used to find the average speed, while the total displacement and time are used to find the average velocity. The final answer is determined to be -0.727 m/s, indicating that the runner is moving west at an average velocity of 0.727m/s.
Heat

Homework Statement

Starting from a pillar, you run a distance 200m east (the x-direction) at an average speed of 5.0m/s , and then run a distance 280m west at an average speed of 4.0m/s to a post.

Calculate your average speed from pillar to post.

Calculate your average velocity from pillar to post.

I drew a rough sketch on how I would this would look like:
http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/449/untitled1zs5.jpg

I understand that they are on the sime line, as if the runner is running forward and back,
I drew it in two separate lines for convienience.

Homework Equations

V = X2-X/T2-T1

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, I would assume that on they way back, the speed would be 4.0m/s and would remain that for the 80m portion gap between 200 and 280m.

Then I decided, that was too easy (and plus I got it wrong), so I think the equation shown above comes into play. But I don't know where to go from there, can anyone stir me into the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Average speed and average velocity are different.

Average speed = (Total Distance)/(Total Time)

Find the total distance... find the total time for the trip... divide them for the average speed...

Average velocity = (Total Displacement)/(Total Time) (displacement is a vector)

learningphysics said:
Average speed and average velocity are different.

Average speed = (Total Distance)/(Total Time)

Find the total distance... find the total time for the trip... divide them for the average speed...

Average velocity = (Total Displacement)/(Total Time) (displacement is a vector)

Thank you for your fast response.

I understand that Average speed is total distance over total time, which leads the av. speed to be 4.4 m/s.

For Average velocity, you mention that it's total displacement over total time.

The displacement would have to be 80m, -80m since it's going 80m from where it started.
Total time is where I am starting to have problems,

I know that the 200m @ 5m/s has a total time of 40 seconds.
I know that the 280m @ 4m/s has a total time of 70 seconds.

Would total time be 30 seconds? or will be still be 70+40= 110s.

Average Velocity = -80m/30s
or
Average velocity = -80m/110s?

Average speed looks right. Total time is 110s. So average velocity would be -80/110 m/s. And since east is positive and west is negative, in your final answer I would use 0.727 m/s West.

learningphysics said:
Average speed looks right. Total time is 110s. So average velocity would be -80/110 m/s. And since east is positive and west is negative, in your final answer I would use 0.727 m/s West.

Thank you, I was thinking about .727, but thought to myself that the number might be too small for average velocity.

I understand that -80m is the displacement, and time is 110 as you mentioned total time. Time cannot be negative, so the final result would have to be -.727 m/s.

I thank you again for the time you took to help me out. :smile:

Heat said:
Thank you, I was thinking about .727, but thought to myself that the number might be too small for average velocity.

I understand that -80m is the displacement, and time is 110 as you mentioned total time. Time cannot be negative, so the final result would have to be -.727 m/s.

I thank you again for the time you took to help me out. :smile:

No prob. be sure at the end to interpret the negative sign as being west... ie: writing the final answer as 0.727m/s West.

Related to Calculate your average velocity from pillar to post

1. How do I calculate my average velocity from pillar to post?

To calculate average velocity, you need to divide the total distance traveled by the total time it took to travel that distance. In this case, you would divide the distance between the pillar and the post by the time it took to travel that distance.

2. Can I use different units for distance and time when calculating average velocity?

Yes, you can use different units for distance and time as long as they are consistent. For example, if you measure distance in meters and time in seconds, your average velocity will be in meters per second.

3. What if I need to calculate average velocity for a curved path between the pillar and post?

In this case, you would need to calculate the total distance traveled along the curved path and the total time it took to travel that distance. Then, you can use the same formula of dividing distance by time to find the average velocity.

4. Can I calculate average velocity if I only have the starting and ending positions and times?

No, to calculate average velocity you need to have both the starting and ending positions and the corresponding times. This is because average velocity takes into account the total distance traveled and the time it took to travel that distance.

5. Is average velocity the same as instantaneous velocity?

No, average velocity is the overall velocity over a specific distance and time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Instantaneous velocity can be calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line of a position-time graph at a specific point.