Average Velocity for One Person's Trip

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the average velocity of a person who runs 10.0m[E] in 2.0s, 5.0m[E] in 1.5s, and 30.0m[W] in 5.0s. The formula Vav= total displacement/total time is used, with a total displacement of 25m[W] and a total time of 8.5s. After initially getting an incorrect answer, the individual redrew their diagram and corrected their calculation mistake. The final average velocity is 1.8m/s[W], as stated in the textbook answer.
Balsam

Homework Statement

A person runs 10.0m[E] in 2.0s, then 5.0m[E] in 1.5s, and finally 30.0m[W] in 5.0s. Find the person's average velocity.

Homework Equations

Vav= total displacement/total time[/B]
Total displacement=df=di

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I found the total displacement to be 25m[W] and the total time to be 8.5s. Then, I used the formula to calculate average velocity, but my answer was different from the textbook's. I got 2.9m/s[W], but the answer in the book is 1.8m/s[W]. I don't know where I went wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Balsam said:

Homework Statement

A person runs 10.0m[E] in 2.0s, then 5.0m[E] in 1.5s, and finally 30.0m[W] in 5.0s. Find the person's average velocity.

Homework Equations

Vav= total displacement/total time[/B]
Total displacement=df=di

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I found the total displacement to be 25m[W] and the total time to be 8.5s. Then, I used the formula to calculate average velocity, but my answer was different from the textbook's. I got 2.9m/s[W], but the answer in the book is 1.8m/s[W]. I don't know where I went wrong.
Please show your detailed calculations so we can look for mistakes.

berkeman said:
Please show your detailed calculations so we can look for mistakes.

I just redrew my diagram and realized that I calculated the displacement wrong. I got the right answer now. Thanks anyways!

Likes berkeman

Related to Average Velocity for One Person's Trip

What is average velocity?

Average velocity is a measure of the displacement of an object over a period of time. It is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken.

How is average velocity different from average speed?

Average velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while average speed only considers the magnitude of the distance traveled. In other words, average velocity is a vector quantity, while average speed is a scalar quantity.

What is the formula for calculating average velocity?

The formula for average velocity is:
v = (xf - xi) / (tf - ti)
where v is the average velocity, xf is the final position, xi is the initial position, tf is the final time, and ti is the initial time.

What are the units of average velocity?

The units of average velocity are distance / time, typically expressed as meters per second (m/s) in the metric system or feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system.

How does an object's acceleration affect its average velocity?

An object's acceleration can impact its average velocity in various ways. If the object is experiencing constant acceleration, its average velocity will be equal to its instantaneous velocity at any point in time. However, if the object's acceleration is changing, its average velocity may not accurately represent its overall motion.