Calculate Wavelength from Rydberg's Constant

• Thread starter CDerhammer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary: I was a math and physics major. You couldn't possibly have a better time.Good luck and enjoy. I could have stayed in college forever. Sooo much fun. so many interesting people. I was a math and physics major. You couldn't possibly have a better time.In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the wavenumber and wavelength of the first transition in the visible region of the atomic spectrum of hydrogen. The conversation includes the use of Rydberg's constant and the equation 1/λ=R(1/n12-1/n22) to find the wavelength, with the n values for the first transition being from 3 to 2. The conversation also mentions the importance of
CDerhammer
Wavelength HELP!

Homework Statement

Calculate the wavenumber (v=1/lambda) and the wavelength of the first transition in the visible region of the atomic spectrum of hydrogen.
I KNOW THE ANSWER... 656.3 nm. I just don't have a clue how they got that answer, I do know that I had to use Rydberg's Constant (1.097X10^7 m ^-1) but I have no idea what to do or how to do it. Thank you anyone who wants to take time and help me. And I don't know if this will mean anything but it is Inorganic Chem 430.

Homework Equations

1/λ=R(1/n12-1/n22)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been at this for hours trying to find out how to calculate everything. and IDK if it's my ti-84 plus edition that is doing the math wrong or what but I cannot find out how to compute this...

Homework Statement

No variables were given to me except rydberg's constant.

Physics news on Phys.org

If you Google the first transition for hydrogen you get from 3 to 2 for your n values.

From there just put the numbers into the equation, evaluate the right side and take the reciprocal to get the wavelength.

Look at the atomic spectrum for hydrogen. There are only four lines. Which values of "n" will you be using for the first transition?

netgypsy said:
If you Google the first transition for hydrogen you get from 3 to 2 for your n values.

From there just put the numbers into the equation, evaluate the right side and take the reciprocal to get the wavelength.

Okay, Now i get 1/λ=1.097x107m-1(1/6) am I on the right track?

sandy.bridge said:
Look at the atomic spectrum for hydrogen. There are only four lines. Which values of "n" will you be using for the first transition?

my book says it starts at n=2 and n2≥3

1/2squared - 1/3squared does not equal 1/6 . You'll get 1/4 - 1/9 =5/36, not 6/36 otherwise you're doing it right. You just had to figure out what the n values were for that first transition which as I said, I asked Google and it said from 3 to 2.

netgypsy said:
1/2squared - 1/3squared does not equal 1/6 . You'll get 1/4 - 1/9 =5/36, not 6/36 otherwise you're doing it right. You just had to figure out what the n values were for that first transition which as I said, I asked Google and it said from 3 to 2.

Whoops yeah, I meant 5/36. then I get 1/λ=1523611.111m-1
lol, sorry if I am bugging you but what do I do now to convert it to nm? Particularly 656.3 nm... lol

If you google nanometer you will see that 1 nm is 10 ^ -9 meters :-)

You found 1/lamda You need to take the reciprocal to get lamda, the wavelength. Than change it to nanometers.

netgypsy said:
If you google nanometer you will see that 1 nm is 10 ^ -9 meters :-)

You found 1/lamda You need to take the reciprocal to get lamda, the wavelength. Than change it to nanometers.

Hmm... I am not too sure how to get the number 656.3 though. I am fine with converting. Just can't find the 656.3

When you solve the equation you'll get 1/lamda = 5/36 (1.097 X l0^ 7)

flipping the whole thing over you'll get lamda = 36/5divided by 1.097 X 10 ^7

which is pretty close to 7 divided by 1.1 X 10 ^ 7 which you can see by estimating is 6 something X 10 -7 it will come out the right answer.

Wow. The book says nothing about flipping everything. got the answer perfectly. Thanks!
*I MUST REMEMBER TO FLIP EVERYTHING!

There are quite a number of equations in physics that allow you to find the reciprocal of quantities and whenever the thing you are looking for is in the denominator like with 1/lamda, you have to calculate the number part and then take the reciprocal to get the thing you want, lamda. And one of the easiest ways to do that is to just flip the whole thing over on both sides (but be careful because you can NOT flip the sum of two fractions. You have to first get a common denominator, add, then flip.

netgypsy said:
There are quite a number of equations in physics that allow you to find the reciprocal of quantities and whenever the thing you are looking for is in the denominator like with 1/lamda, you have to calculate the number part and then take the reciprocal to get the thing you want, lamda.

Well this is going to be a long journey through my inorganic chem 430 class lol. How come I couldn't find this stuff on youtube or google or anything?

It's on there. I found the n values on google. You would get that same problem in physics, in several different areas. I never took inorganic. LOVED Physical chem and instrumental analysis.

netgypsy said:
It's on there. I found the n values on google. You would get that same problem in physics, in several different areas. I never took inorganic. LOVED Physical chem and instrumental analysis.

Yeah I'm a biochem major at Indiana University, I have physical chem 362 coming in the spring. but I am only a freshman lol

Good luck and enjoy. I could have stayed in college forever. Sooo much fun. so many interesting people.

Related to Calculate Wavelength from Rydberg's Constant

What is Rydberg's Constant?

Rydberg's Constant is a physical constant that relates the energy levels of an electron in a hydrogen atom. It is denoted as RH and has a value of approximately 1.097 x 107 m-1.

How can Rydberg's Constant be used to calculate wavelength?

Rydberg's Constant can be used in the Rydberg formula, which is given by 1/λ = RH(1/nf2 - 1/ni2), where λ is the wavelength, nf is the final energy level, and ni is the initial energy level. By rearranging this formula, we can solve for λ.

What are the units of Rydberg's Constant?

The units of Rydberg's Constant are inverse meters (m-1), as it is a measure of the energy levels of an electron in terms of wavelength.

What is the significance of Rydberg's Constant in atomic physics?

Rydberg's Constant is significant in atomic physics because it helps us understand the energy levels of electrons in hydrogen atoms. It also allows us to calculate the wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed by hydrogen atoms, which is important in spectroscopy and the study of atomic structures.

Is Rydberg's Constant applicable to all elements?

No, Rydberg's Constant is specifically applicable to hydrogen atoms as it is derived from the energy levels of a single electron in a hydrogen atom. Other elements have different energy levels and therefore have their own unique constants. However, a modified version of Rydberg's Constant, known as the Rydberg equation, can be used for other elements with only one electron, such as helium.