Calculate Vehicle Impact Speed with These Specifics - Expert Tips

In summary, the conversation is about determining the impact speed of a vehicle in a specific scenario. The person asking for help clarifies that it is not for accident investigation and is open to any assistance. They provide details about the vehicles involved and the direction and outcome of the collision. They also mention that the surface was asphalt. Finally, they mention that they have been getting different answers and ask for help with their calculations.
kadi
can someone help me determine the impact speed of a vehicle if i provide specifics? i keep coming up with different answers!

Physics news on Phys.org
kadi said:
can someone help me determine the impact speed of a vehicle if i provide specifics? i keep coming up with different answers!
Welcome to the PF.

We don't try to participate in accident investigations, if that's where you're headed with this. You need to hire a professional for such things. :smile:

it is not for accident investigation it is a question i have to solve but come up with very different answers. I am sure if it was regarding accidents i would take it more seriously than a science forum. any help appreciated :)

kadi said:
it is not for accident investigation it is a question i have to solve but come up with very different answers. I am sure if it was regarding accidents i would take it more seriously than a science forum. any help appreciated :)
Then sure, fire away... :smile:

vehicle A weighs 3677lbs (1667.86 kg) with passengers and fuel. vehicle B weighs 3475lbs (1576.23 kg) with passengers and fuel. vehicle A is turning left at an approximate 70 degree angle. Vehicle B hits vehicle A centre passenger side sending vehicle A into a 160 degree clockwise rotational spin ending up 12 meters away from point of impact. Vehicle B has not moved since impact. how fast was vehicle B travelling?

this was on asphalt i might add...

kadi said:
vehicle A weighs 3677lbs (1667.86 kg) with passengers and fuel. vehicle B weighs 3475lbs (1576.23 kg) with passengers and fuel. vehicle A is turning left at an approximate 70 degree angle. Vehicle B hits vehicle A centre passenger side sending vehicle A into a 160 degree clockwise rotational spin ending up 12 meters away from point of impact. Vehicle B has not moved since impact. how fast was vehicle B travelling?
You said you keep coming up with different answers. Can you show us your calculations, and the answers you are getting? :smile:

Related to Calculate Vehicle Impact Speed with These Specifics - Expert Tips

1. How is vehicle impact speed calculated?

The vehicle impact speed is calculated using the formula v = √(2ad), where v is the impact speed, a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and d is the distance between the initial and final positions of the vehicle.

2. What are the necessary specifics needed to calculate vehicle impact speed?

The necessary specifics needed to calculate vehicle impact speed include the distance between initial and final positions of the vehicle, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time it takes for the vehicle to travel that distance.

3. Can the impact speed of a vehicle be accurately calculated without knowing the exact weight of the vehicle?

Yes, the impact speed of a vehicle can be accurately calculated without knowing the exact weight of the vehicle. The weight of the vehicle may affect the severity of the impact, but it does not play a significant role in the calculation of impact speed.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of vehicle impact speed calculation?

The accuracy of vehicle impact speed calculation can be affected by factors such as air resistance, road conditions, and the weight and shape of the vehicle. These factors may cause slight variations in the calculated impact speed.

5. Is it necessary to have advanced mathematical skills to calculate vehicle impact speed?

No, it is not necessary to have advanced mathematical skills to calculate vehicle impact speed. The calculation only requires basic algebra skills and knowledge of the formula v = √(2ad). Various online calculators and software programs are also available to assist with the calculation.