Speed vehicle travelling on impact

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of estimating the speed at which a person was hit in a car accident. The person asking the question was stationary at a junction when they were hit from behind by a larger vehicle. They are looking for an estimated speed based on the distance their car traveled after impact. However, it is mentioned that accident reconstruction is a complex process that should be done by trained professionals, rather than asking for a simple answer on an internet forum. The thread is ultimately locked due to the complexity and sensitivity of the topic.
beckybezo
Hi guys
hoping someone is able to answer this albeit a estimated reply.
I am trying to figure out the speed I was hit at in a recent accident.

I was stationary at a junction (vehicle weight aproz 1470kg) foot on brake
was hit from behind (vehicle weight aprox 2000kg)
was hit full on driver did not apply brakes (no skid marks) Driver claims not to have seen me

From the point of impact my vehicle traveled aprox 24 metres my foot was still on the brake during this time.

From the point of impact the vehicle hitting me continued to travel 36 metres

It was a clear dry afternoon.

Any help would be appreciated as to an estimated speed that I was hit at.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

We get similar questions often on PF. But accident reconstruction is something for trained professionals, not amateurs, or even physicists.

A simple question and answer on an Internet forum is not very useful.

I figured there must be a mathematical equation to work this out..I guess it's not that simple then ? Thankyou for taking the time to reply Anorlunda.

If you were hit from behind, how is it that the vehicle that hit you traveled twelve meters more than you?

I'm sorry but we don't allow traffic accident analysis here at PF. Accidents are too complex to give an accurate analysis, especially without physically investigating the scene. If you need help, please consult a professional trained in this area.

Thread locked.

Likes davenn

Related to Speed vehicle travelling on impact

1. How does the speed of a vehicle affect its impact in a collision?

The speed of a vehicle directly affects its impact in a collision. The faster the vehicle is traveling, the greater its kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion. This means that a vehicle traveling at a higher speed will have a greater impact force, causing more damage upon collision.

2. What is the relationship between speed and stopping distance?

The higher the speed of a vehicle, the longer its stopping distance. This is due to the fact that a vehicle traveling at a higher speed has more kinetic energy, which must be dissipated in order to come to a complete stop. Therefore, the greater the speed, the more distance the vehicle will need to stop.

3. Is it safer to have a heavier vehicle when it comes to impact?

In general, a heavier vehicle will have a greater impact force in a collision. However, this does not necessarily mean that a heavier vehicle is always safer. Other factors such as the design and safety features of the vehicle also play a significant role in determining its safety in a collision.

4. Can the type of surface affect the impact of a vehicle?

Yes, the type of surface that a vehicle is traveling on can significantly affect its impact in a collision. For example, a vehicle traveling on a wet or icy surface will have a longer stopping distance and may lose control more easily, resulting in a greater impact force upon collision.

5. How can we reduce the impact force of a vehicle in a collision?

There are several ways to reduce the impact force of a vehicle in a collision. These include implementing safety features such as airbags and seatbelts, following speed limits and traffic laws, and maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles. Additionally, proper maintenance and regular inspections of a vehicle can also help reduce the impact force in a collision.