Calculate Upper Bound for $\displaystyle a_{n}$ in Binomial Limit Evaluation

In summary, the evaluation of the limit of the summation $\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\sum^{n}_{k=0}\frac{1}{\binom{n}{k}}$ involves calculating an upper bound for the sequence $\displaystyle a_n = \sum^{n}_{k=0}\frac{1}{\binom{n}{k}}$. By using the inequality ${n\choose k} \geqslant {n\choose 2} = \frac12n(n-1)$ and considering the sum of terms with $2\leqslant k\leqslant n-2$, we can estimate the upper bound for $a_n$ to be $\
juantheron
Evaluation of $\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\sum^{n}_{k=0}\frac{1}{\binom{n}{k}}$ is

I have tried like this way::

Let $\displaystyle a_{n} = \sum^{n}_{k=0}\frac{1}{\binom{n}{k}} = \frac{1}{\binom{n}{0}}+\frac{1}{\binom{n}{1}}+\sum^{n-2}_{k=2}\frac{1}{\binom{n}{k}}+\frac{1}{\binom{n}{n-1}}+\frac{1}{\binom{n}{n}}\geq 2+\frac{2}{n}$

Now I did not understand How can I calculate upper bound for $a_{n}$

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jacks said:
Evaluation of $\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\sum^{n}_{k=0}\frac{1}{\binom{n}{k}}$ is

I have tried like this way::

Let $\displaystyle a_{n} = \sum^{n}_{k=0}\frac{1}{\binom{n}{k}} = \frac{1}{\binom{n}{0}}+\frac{1}{\binom{n}{1}}+\sum^{n-2}_{k=2}\frac{1}{\binom{n}{k}}+\frac{1}{\binom{n}{n-1}}+\frac{1}{\binom{n}{n}}\geq 2+\frac{2}{n}$

Now I did not understand How can I calculate upper bound for $a_{n}$
Notice that ${n\choose k} \geqslant {n\choose 2} = \frac12n(n-1)$ for $2\leqslant k\leqslant n-2$. So the sum \(\displaystyle \sum^{n-2}_{k=2}\frac{1}{n\choose k}\) has $n-3$ terms, each of which is $\leqslant \frac2{n(n-1)}.$ That gives you an estimate for the upper bound of $a_n.$

Related to Calculate Upper Bound for $\displaystyle a_{n}$ in Binomial Limit Evaluation

1. What is the purpose of calculating the upper bound for $\displaystyle a_{n}$ in binomial limit evaluation?

The upper bound for $\displaystyle a_{n}$ in binomial limit evaluation is used to determine the maximum value that $\displaystyle a_{n}$ can take on to ensure that the binomial limit exists. This helps in understanding the behavior of the binomial expression and its convergence towards a specific value as n approaches infinity.

2. How is the upper bound for $\displaystyle a_{n}$ calculated in binomial limit evaluation?

The upper bound for $\displaystyle a_{n}$ is calculated by using the fact that in a binomial expression, the largest coefficient occurs for the middle term when n is even and for the two middle terms when n is odd. This largest coefficient is then multiplied by the absolute value of the variable raised to the highest power in the expression to get the upper bound.

3. Can the upper bound for $\displaystyle a_{n}$ in binomial limit evaluation be equal to the actual value of $\displaystyle a_{n}$?

No, the upper bound for $\displaystyle a_{n}$ is always greater than or equal to the actual value of $\displaystyle a_{n}$ in a binomial expression. This is because the upper bound is calculated by considering the maximum possible value of the coefficient, while the actual value may be smaller.

4. How does the upper bound for $\displaystyle a_{n}$ affect the convergence of the binomial expression?

The upper bound for $\displaystyle a_{n}$ plays a crucial role in determining the convergence of the binomial expression. If the upper bound is less than 1, then the expression is guaranteed to converge. However, if the upper bound is equal to 1 or greater than 1, then further analysis of the expression is required to determine its convergence.

5. Are there any limitations to using the upper bound for $\displaystyle a_{n}$ in binomial limit evaluation?

Yes, the upper bound for $\displaystyle a_{n}$ can only be used to determine the convergence of a binomial expression when n approaches infinity. It cannot be used for finite values of n. Additionally, the upper bound may not always accurately represent the behavior of the expression, as it is only an estimate based on the largest coefficient and highest power of the variable.