Calculate the volume of the space D

In summary, we want to draw the space $D$ that is between the paraboloid $z=x^2+y^2$ and the cone $z=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}$ and calculate its volume. To do this, we first find the intersection curves of the two surfaces and draw them on the xy-plane. We then use cylindrical coordinates to define the bounds for the volume, with $0\leq z\leq 1$ and $z^2\leq r\leq z$. Finally, we use the cylindrical coordinate triple integral $\iiint
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to draw the space $D$ that is between the paraboloid with equation $z=x^2+y^2$ and the cone with equation $z=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}$ and I want to calculate its volume. How does $D$ look like?

To calculate the volume we have to calculate the integral $\iiint_D dxdydz$.

I have done the following:

Let $x^2+y^2=t^2$, at the intersection of the two surfaces we have $t^2=t\Rightarrow t^2-t=0\Rightarrow t=0 , t=1$.

For $t=0$ we have $x^2+y^2=0\Rightarrow x=y=0$.

For $t=1$ we have $x^2+y^2=1\Rightarrow y^2=1-x^2\Rightarrow -\sqrt{1-x^2}\leq y\leq \sqrt{1-x^2}$. With $y=0$ we get $0\leq y \leq \sqrt{1-x^2}$. So that the square root is defined it must hold $1-x^2\geq 0\Rightarrow x^2\leq 1\Rightarrow -1\leq x\leq 1$. With $x=0$ we get $0\leq x\leq 1$.

Is everything correct so far? But which are the bounds for $z$? Is it maybe $\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\leq z\leq x^2+y^2$? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

I want to draw the space $D$ that is between the paraboloid with equation $z=x^2+y^2$ and the cone with equation $z=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}$ and I want to calculate its volume.

How does $D$ look like?

Hey mathmari! (Smile)

To draw a surface or volume, the usual way to do it, is to calculate the curves that intersect the xy-plane, the xz-plane, and the yz-plane, and draw those.
In our case we have 2 surfaces that intersect each other, so we should find their intersection curves and draw those as well.
Can we find and draw those? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
For $t=1$ we have $x^2+y^2=1\Rightarrow y^2=1-x^2\Rightarrow -\sqrt{1-x^2}\leq y\leq \sqrt{1-x^2}$. With $y=0$ we get $0\leq y \leq \sqrt{1-x^2}$. So that the square root is defined it must hold $1-x^2\geq 0\Rightarrow x^2\leq 1\Rightarrow -1\leq x\leq 1$. With $x=0$ we get $0\leq x\leq 1$.

I'm not sure what you mean with 'With $y=0$ we get $0\leq y \leq \sqrt{1-x^2}$'? :confused:

Anyway, I'd recommend to look at it from cylindrical coordinates.
At $t=1$, or rather $\rho=\sqrt t=1$ (radius parallel to the xy-plane), the paraboloid is a circle with radius 1, and the cone is also a circle with radius 1.
mathmari said:
Is everything correct so far? But which are the bounds for $z$? Is it maybe $\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\leq z\leq x^2+y^2$? (Wondering)

How would it look in cylindrical coordinates, say, $(\rho,\phi,z)$? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
I'm not sure what you mean with 'With $y=0$ we get $0\leq y \leq \sqrt{1-x^2}$'? :confused:

I thought so since for $t=0$ we get $y=0$, and so the space is bounded by $y=0$. Is this wrong?
I like Serena said:
Anyway, I'd recommend to look at it from cylindrical coordinates.

Can we not use cartesian coordinates? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
I thought so since for $t=0$ we get $y=0$, and so the space is bounded by $y=0$. Is this wrong?

We found that the intersection of the paraboloid and the cone consists of the point $(0,0,0)$, and separate from that, the curve given by $x^2+y^2=1, z=1$.
Somehow they must bound our volume.
It helps to draw them to figure out how.
From my own drawing I'm concluding that the ranges for $x$ and $y$ that you found are not correct. (Shake)

mathmari said:
Can we not use cartesian coordinates?

Sure.
I was effectively only suggesting to define $\rho=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}$ as an intermediate step.
Anyway, I believe we should get $D=\{(x,y,z) \mid 0\le z \le 1,\ z^2 \le x^2+y^2 \le z\}$. (Thinking)

mathmari said:
But which are the bounds for $z$? Is it maybe $\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\leq z\leq x^2+y^2$?

I believe it should be the other way around:
$$x^2+y^2 \le z \le \sqrt{x^2+y^2}$$
(Thinking)

In the y= 0 plane, the paraboloid $z= x^2+ y^2$ becomes the parabola $z= x^2$ and the cone $z= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}$ becomes $z= \sqrt{x^2}= |x|$, a pair of lines. Which is higher?

I like Serena said:
Anyway, I believe we should get $D=\{(x,y,z) \mid 0\le z \le 1,\ z^2 \le x^2+y^2 \le z\}$. (Thinking)
I believe it should be the other way around:
$$x^2+y^2 \le z \le \sqrt{x^2+y^2}$$
(Thinking)

Ah ok.

How could we bound the variables $x$ and $y$ ? Do we have the following? (Wondering)

We have that $z^2 \le x^2+y^2 \le z$, since $z\leq 1$, we get that $x^2+y^2\leq 1\Rightarrow x^2\leq 1-y^2 \Rightarrow -\sqrt{1-y^2}\leq x\leq \sqrt{1-y^2}$.
So that the square root is defined it must hold $1-y^2\geq 0 \Rightarrow y^2\leq 1 \Rightarrow -1\leq y \leq 1$.

Are these bounds correct? (Wondering)
HallsofIvy said:
In the y= 0 plane, the paraboloid $z= x^2+ y^2$ becomes the parabola $z= x^2$ and the cone $z= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}$ becomes $z= \sqrt{x^2}= |x|$, a pair of lines. Which is higher?

For $x\in [0,1]$ we have that $|x|$ is higher than $ x^2$. That means that the same holds also when we don't consider the plane $y=0$, right? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Ah ok.

How could we bound the variables $x$ and $y$ ? Do we have the following? (Wondering)

We have that $z^2 \le x^2+y^2 \le z$, since $z\leq 1$, we get that $x^2+y^2\leq 1\Rightarrow x^2\leq 1-y^2 \Rightarrow -\sqrt{1-y^2}\leq x\leq \sqrt{1-y^2}$.
So that the square root is defined it must hold $1-y^2\geq 0 \Rightarrow y^2\leq 1 \Rightarrow -1\leq y \leq 1$.

Are these bounds correct?

Yep.

I like Serena said:
Yep.

Great! Thank you! (Mmm)

mathmari said:
Ah ok.

Are these bounds correct? (Wondering)

For $x\in [0,1]$ we have that $|x|$ is higher than $ x^2$. That means that the same holds also when we don't consider the plane $y=0$, right? (Wondering)

Of course, since every cross-section parallel to the x-y plane will be circles (or rather, toruses), the integral will be infinity times easier to solve with cylindrical polar co-ordinates.

You have already found $\displaystyle \begin{align*} z^2 \leq x^2 + y^2 \leq z \implies z^2 \leq r \leq z \end{align*}$, with $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq z \leq 1 \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq \theta \leq 2\,\pi \end{align*}$, thus the volume is

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} V &= \int_0^{2\,\pi}{ \int_0^1{\int_{z^2}^z{ r\,\mathrm{d}r }\,\mathrm{d}z} \,\mathrm{d}\theta } \\ &= \int_0^{2\,\pi}{ \int_0^1{ \left[ \frac{r^2}{2} \right] _{z^2}^z \,\mathrm{d}z } \,\mathrm{d}\theta } \\ &= \frac{1}{2} \int_0^{2\,\pi}{ \int_0^1{ \left( z^2 - z^4 \right) \,\mathrm{d}z } \,\mathrm{d}\theta } \\ &= \frac{1}{2} \int_0^{2\,\pi}{ \left[ \frac{z^3}{3} - \frac{z^5}{5} \right] _0^1 \,\mathrm{d}\theta } \\ &= \frac{1}{2} \int_0^{2\,\pi}{ \left( \frac{1}{3} - \frac{1}{5} \right) \,\mathrm{d}\theta } \\ &= \frac{1}{2} \cdot \frac{2}{15} \int_0^{2\,\pi}{ 1\,\mathrm{d}\theta } \\ &= \frac{1}{15} \, \left[ \theta \right] _0^{2\,\pi} \\ &= \frac{2\,\pi}{15}\,\textrm{units}^3 \end{align*}$

Last edited:
Prove It said:
Of course, since every cross-section parallel to the x-y plane will be circles (or rather, toruses), the integral will be infinity times easier to solve with cylindrical polar co-ordinates.

You have already found $\displaystyle \begin{align*} z^2 \leq x^2 + y^2 \leq z \implies z^2 \leq r \leq z^2 \end{align*}$, with $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq z \leq 1 \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq \theta \leq 2\,\pi \end{align*}$, thus the volume is

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} V &= \int_0^{2\,\pi}{ \int_0^1{\int_{z^2}^z{ r\,\mathrm{d}r }\,\mathrm{d}z} \,\mathrm{d}\theta } \\ &= \int_0^{2\,\pi}{ \int_0^1{ \left[ \frac{r^2}{2} \right] _{z^2}^z \,\mathrm{d}z } \,\mathrm{d}\theta } \\ &= \frac{1}{2} \int_0^{2\,\pi}{ \int_0^1{ \left( z^2 - z^4 \right) \,\mathrm{d}z } \,\mathrm{d}\theta } \\ &= \frac{1}{2} \int_0^{2\,\pi}{ \left[ \frac{z^3}{3} - \frac{z^5}{5} \right] _0^1 \,\mathrm{d}\theta } \\ &= \frac{1}{2} \int_0^{2\,\pi}{ \left( \frac{1}{3} - \frac{1}{5} \right) \,\mathrm{d}\theta } \\ &= \frac{1}{2} \cdot \frac{2}{15} \int_0^{2\,\pi}{ 1\,\mathrm{d}\theta } \\ &= \frac{1}{15} \, \left[ \theta \right] _0^{2\,\pi} \\ &= \frac{2\,\pi}{15}\,\textrm{units}^3 \end{align*}$

I see! Thank you very much! (Smile)

Related to Calculate the volume of the space D

1. How do I calculate the volume of space D?

To calculate the volume of space D, you will need to measure the length, width, and height of the space. Then, use the formula V = lwh, where V represents volume, l represents length, w represents width, and h represents height. Plug in the values for each measurement and solve for the volume.

2. What units should I use to measure the space for volume calculation?

The units you use will depend on the units of measurement used for length, width, and height. For example, if you measure length in meters, width in centimeters, and height in millimeters, the resulting volume will be in cubic meters. It is important to use consistent units for accurate volume calculation.

3. Can I use the volume of space D to determine the amount of material needed to fill it?

Yes, the volume of space D can be used to determine the amount of material needed to fill it. You will need to know the density of the material you are using and then use the formula V = m/d, where V represents volume, m represents mass, and d represents density. Plug in the volume of space D and the density of the material to find the mass, which can then be converted to the amount of material needed.

4. Is there a different formula to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped spaces?

Yes, for irregularly shaped spaces, you can use the displacement method. This involves filling a container with a known volume of water, submerging the irregularly shaped object in the container, and measuring the new volume of water. The difference between the two volumes is the volume of the object.

5. Can I use the volume of space D to determine its capacity?

No, volume and capacity are not the same. Volume refers to the total amount of space inside an object, while capacity refers to the maximum amount of substance that an object can hold. For example, a container with a volume of 1 liter can have a capacity of 2 liters if it is not completely filled. Therefore, the volume of space D does not necessarily equal its capacity.