Calculate the voltmeter reading

In summary, the light-dependent resistor (LDR) in the given circuit has a resistance of 800 Ω in moonlight and 160 Ω in daylight. With the switch S open, the voltmeter reading in moonlight is 8 V. With the switch S closed, the voltmeter reading remains at 8 V, indicating a total resistance of 50 Ω for the circuit.
moenste

Homework Statement

The light-dependent resistor (LDR) in the circuit below is found to have resistance 800 Ω in moonlight and resistance 160 Ω in daylight. Calculate the voltmeter reading, Vm, in moonlight with the switch S open.

df0febad6d98.jpg

If the reading of the voltmeter in daylight with the switch S closed is also equal to Vm what is the value of the resistance R?

Answers: 8.0 V, 50 Ω

2. The attempt at a solution
At first I would like to check whether I understand the scheme correctly. The switch S is a diode (open is a reverse-biased and closed is a forward-biased). The LDR is just a regular resistor, just need to take into account different values of resistance depending on the daytime. Should this be correct?

I this representation correct?
371fe9db422c.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
A switch is not a diode. A switch will pass current in either direction with equal facility and does not exhibit a potential drop when current passes through it (at least for an ideal switch). Diodes pass current in one direction only, and except for ideal diodes cause a potential drop on the order of a half volt when they do.

It's better to think of a switch as a zero resistance wire connection that can be inserted or removed manually.

Your redrawn circuit is fine.

Likes moenste
gneill said:
A switch is not a diode. A switch will pass current in either direction with equal facility and does not exhibit a potential drop when current passes through it (at least for an ideal switch). Diodes pass current in one direction only, and except for ideal diodes cause a potential drop on the order of a half volt when they do.

It's better to think of a switch as a zero resistance wire connection that can be inserted or removed manually.

Your redrawn circuit is fine.
We need to find the voltmeter reading during moonlight when the resistance is 800 Ω and the switch is open. If the switch is open, the resistor R is shut off. Therefore we have only two resistors 200 + 800 = 1000 Ω. I = V / R = 10 / 1000 = 0.01 A. Now we find the 200 Ω has V200 = I R200 = 0.01 * 200 = 2 V, and the LDR resistor, as a result has 8 V. Since the voltmeter is connected to LDR, its reading is 8 V. Correct logic?

Update: for the second question we have: since the reading doesn't change, therefore V = I R and we can find I = V / R = 8 / 160 = 0.05 A of the whole circuit. Then, knowing V = 2 V and I = 0.05 A, we find the RParallel: R = V / I = 2 / 0.05 = 40 Ω. Then, by 1 / R = 1 / R + 1 / R → 1 / 40 = 1 / 200 + 1 / R → R = 50 Ω. Should be correct.

Last edited:
That all looks good. Well done.

Likes moenste

Related to Calculate the voltmeter reading

1. What is the purpose of calculating the voltmeter reading?

The purpose of calculating the voltmeter reading is to measure the amount of voltage present in an electrical circuit. This measurement is important for understanding the behavior of the circuit and ensuring the proper functioning of electrical devices.

2. How do you calculate the voltmeter reading?

To calculate the voltmeter reading, you need to connect the voltmeter in parallel to the circuit and then read the voltage value displayed on the voltmeter. This value represents the voltmeter reading.

3. What units is the voltmeter reading typically measured in?

The voltmeter reading is typically measured in volts (V). However, in some cases, it may also be measured in millivolts (mV) or kilovolts (kV) depending on the magnitude of the voltage being measured.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the voltmeter reading?

The accuracy of the voltmeter reading can be affected by factors such as the quality and calibration of the voltmeter, the resistance of the voltmeter itself, and the presence of any external interference in the circuit being measured.

5. How can the voltmeter reading be used in practical applications?

The voltmeter reading is used in many practical applications, such as troubleshooting electrical circuits, testing the performance of batteries and power supplies, and monitoring the voltage levels in electronic devices to ensure they are functioning properly.