Calculate Solar Energy Incident on Earth at 1.5x10^11 m from Sun

• Thread starter student123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the question is asking for an expression that governs the rate of solar energy incident upon the Earth, given that the Earth is at a distance of 1.5x10^11 m from the Sun and the Sun has a power output of 4x10^26 watts. The answer will have units of "Watts per square meter".
student123
Hi, so I have been asked to find an expression that governs the rate of solar energy incident upon the Earth, if the Earth lies at a distance, D from the Sun of 1.5x10^11 m, and the Earth has a radius, RE. I also know the Sun has a power output of about 4x10^26 watts.

At this point I have considered looking at P = W/T, I think the main issue is I have no clue what the rate of solar energy incident upon the Earth is supposed to look like written out in equation form. I know the question is asking the rate at which the Earth absorbs energy from the sun, but I'm not sure what to do or where to go from here. Please help me! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer will have units "Watts per square meter".

Imagine a glass sphere of radius D surrounding the sun. All the light from the sun must pass through that sphere. It has area = ??. The Earth blocks what fraction of that area?

CWatters said:
The answer will have units "Watts per square meter".
My reading is that it's the total power incident on the Earth that's required, so that will be in Watts.
I have considered looking at P = W/T
Not useful here since there is no mention of an amount of work or a period of time. Just follow CWatters' hint.

haruspex said:
My reading is that it's the total power incident on the Earth that's required, so that will be in Watts.
I've had another read of the question and think haruspex is right. They probably want the total power in watts rather than the power per square meter.

Hi there,

To calculate the solar energy incident on Earth at a distance of 1.5x10^11 m from the Sun, we can use the inverse square law, which states that the intensity of radiation decreases with the square of the distance from the source. This means that the further away an object is from the Sun, the less solar energy it receives.

To calculate the rate of solar energy incident on Earth, we can use the formula:

P = (L/4πD^2)A

Where P is the power (in watts), L is the luminosity of the Sun (4x10^26 watts), D is the distance from the Sun (1.5x10^11 m), and A is the surface area of Earth (4πRE^2).

Plugging in the given values, we get:

P = (4x10^26/4π(1.5x10^11)^2)(4π(6.37x10^6)^2)

P = 1.74x10^17 watts

This is the rate at which solar energy is incident on Earth at a distance of 1.5x10^11 m from the Sun. Keep in mind that this is the total amount of solar energy that reaches Earth's atmosphere, and not all of it is absorbed by the Earth.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Calculate Solar Energy Incident on Earth at 1.5x10^11 m from Sun

1. How do you calculate solar energy incident on Earth at 1.5x10^11 m from Sun?

To calculate solar energy incident on Earth at 1.5x10^11 m from the Sun, you can use the formula: Solar Energy = (Solar Constant x (1/AU)^2) x (Radius of Sun/Distance from Sun)^2. The solar constant is a measure of the amount of solar energy that reaches the Earth's atmosphere per unit area, and the AU represents the distance from the Earth to the Sun, which is approximately 1.5x10^11 m. By plugging in the values for the solar constant, the radius of the Sun, and the distance from the Sun to Earth, you can calculate the amount of solar energy incident on Earth at that distance.

2. What is the solar constant?

The solar constant is a measure of the amount of solar energy that reaches the Earth's atmosphere per unit area. It is approximately equal to 1361 watts per square meter and is affected by factors such as the Earth's distance from the Sun and the Earth's atmosphere.

3. How does the distance from the Sun affect the amount of solar energy incident on Earth?

The amount of solar energy incident on Earth is inversely proportional to the distance from the Sun. This means that as the distance from the Sun increases, the amount of solar energy incident on Earth decreases. This is because the farther away the Earth is from the Sun, the more spread out the solar energy is over a larger area, resulting in less energy per unit area reaching the Earth.

4. What is the radius of the Sun?

The radius of the Sun is approximately 695,700 kilometers, or 109 times the radius of the Earth. This measurement is important in calculating the amount of solar energy incident on Earth at different distances from the Sun.

5. How is solar energy measured?

Solar energy is measured in watts per square meter (W/m^2). This unit represents the amount of solar energy that falls on a specific area in a given amount of time. It is commonly used to measure the amount of solar energy incident on Earth at different distances from the Sun.