Calculate the power consumed by dependent source

In summary, the problem involves calculating the power consumed by a dependent source. Using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law and Ohm's Law, the equation for the power consumption is obtained. The final result is -455.7W, but it should be checked whether the source is producing or consuming power. The mesh current i3 is eliminated in the final equation.
ongxom

Homework Statement

HzWX95o.png

calculate the power consumed by dependent source

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The 10A source does not build a supermesh.
Loop 3:
(i3-i2).(1/10)=0 => i3=i2
Loop 2 :
i2=10(A)
i3=10(A)
vx.(10)=10=> vx=1(V) (node voltage)
also for loop 2 :
1/10(i2-i3)-3vx+(1/110)(i2-i1)=0
i1=-320(A)
To calculate the power consumed p=v.i=-3vx.i

I am not sure what current goes through the dependent source, i think it is (i2-i1)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there something missing on the left side? A power supply?

(i3-i2).(1/10)=0
Why should this be zero?
vx.(10)=10
Where does that come from?
I am not sure what current goes through the dependent source, i think it is (i2-i1)
Right.

mfb said:
Is there something missing on the left side? A power supply?

Why should this be zero?
Where does that come from?
Right.

1) Nothing is missing.
2) Maybe no voltage source was on the left side.
3) Fix it, it should be vx.(1/(1/10))=-10 (cause the 10A source is going out the node).
Is the equation for Loop 2 correct ?

If there is nothing missing on the left then there is no loop 3, and no i3. Furthermore, the 10A source will fix the mesh current i2 at 10A (because the 10A source is in a portion of that mesh that is not shared with any other mesh and so that mesh current is the only current that flows in that branch making the mesh current identical to the current in that branch).

So you've got a value for mesh current i2 by inspection, and only have i1 to solve. Given that you know i2, what's Vx? Can you write KVL for the i1 mesh?

gneill said:
If there is nothing missing on the left then there is no loop 3, and no i3. Furthermore, the 10A source will fix the mesh current i2 at 10A (because the 10A source is in a portion of that mesh that is not shared with any other mesh and so that mesh current is the only current that flows in that branch making the mesh current identical to the current in that branch).

So you've got a value for mesh current i2 by inspection, and only have i1 to solve. Given that you know i2, what's Vx? Can you write KVL for the i1 mesh?

vx=-1 (V)
KVL for mesh 1 :
(1/110).(i1-i2)+3vx+(1/100).i1=0

ongxom said:
vx=-1 (V)
KVL for mesh 1 :
(1/110).(i1-i2)+3vx+(1/100).i1=0

Yes, that looks good. So what's i1? How about the net current flowing into the dependent source?

gneill said:
Yes, that looks good. So what's i1? How about the net current flowing into the dependent source?

substitute vx=-1, i2=10A we have i1=161.9(A).
p=-3vx.(i2-i1)=-3.(-1).(10-161.9)=-455.7(W)
Is the result correct now ?

So according to the diagram, i3 should be eliminated and the above equation of mine for mesh 2 was incorrect, right ?

ongxom said:
substitute vx=-1, i2=10A we have i1=161.9(A).
p=-3vx.(i2-i1)=-3.(-1).(10-161.9)=-455.7(W)
Is the result correct now ?
The number 455.7 W is good. One thing to verify is whether or not the source is actually producing or consuming power. Suppose you label the device with the actual potential across it. Is the current entering or leaving via the more positive terminal? A voltage supply that is producing power has current leaving via its + terminal.
So according to the diagram, i3 should be eliminated and the above equation of mine for mesh 2 was incorrect, right ?
Right.

Related to Calculate the power consumed by dependent source

What is a dependent source?

A dependent source is an electrical component whose output is dependent on the input from another source or variable.

What is the power consumed by a dependent source?

The power consumed by a dependent source is the amount of energy that the source uses to operate and produce its output. It is measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW).

How do I calculate the power consumed by a dependent source?

The power consumed by a dependent source can be calculated by multiplying the voltage across the source by the current flowing through it. This can be expressed as P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps.

Can the power consumed by a dependent source be negative?

Yes, the power consumed by a dependent source can be negative. This occurs when the source is supplying power instead of consuming it, such as in the case of a generator or battery.

What factors can affect the power consumed by a dependent source?

The power consumed by a dependent source can be affected by various factors such as the input voltage, the type of dependent source (voltage or current), and the circuit configuration. Changes in these factors can result in a change in the power consumed by the source.