Finding the missing current and voltage in a circuit with superposition

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of analyzing a circuit by separately analyzing each source and then adding the results together. However, this approach may not always give accurate results. The conversation also introduces the concept of linear superposition and using equations to calculate values for different situations. Finally, the conversation ends with a discussion about using these equations in a two-port network with only passive and linear elements.
JessicaHelena
Homework Statement
We are given a black box that contains only linear circuit elements and a pair of ports. We conduct the following two experiments with this black box.

1. With the right port open, we applied V1 = 2V to the left port and measured I1 = 4mA and V2 = 8V.

2. With the left port shorted, we applied I2 = -10 mA to the right port and measured I1 = 5mA and V2 = -10V.

Now we connect a current source to the right port and a voltage source to the left port. I1 = 8mA and V2 = 4V now. Find I2 and V1, in mA and V each.
Relevant Equations
superposition?
V/I = R? (R doesn't really concern us here, I think)
I don't get this. Since we have analyzed the circuit separately for each source, adding them should give me the final values of I1, V2, I2, V1 etc. However, that's not quite true—from cases 1 and 2, I should have I1 = 4 + 5 = 9 mA, but it's 8mA. Hence, I thought that the black box consumes 1mA; hence I2 = 0 + (-10) - 1 = -11 mA. Similarly, V2 = 4V even though adding the V2 from first two cases gives -2; hence, the black box provides an additional 6V, and so V1 = 2 + 0 + 6 = 8V. However, this approach is wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-12 at 8.38.57 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-12 at 8.38.57 PM.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 289
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose the variable ##z## is a linear superposition of the variables ##x## and ##y##. That doesn't necessarily mean that ##z = x+y##. It means that there exist constants ##a## and ##b## such that ##z = ax + by##.

You might want to make a table for the three cases that you are working with:

$$\,\,\, \underline{ V_1 \,\,\, I_1 \,\,\, V_2 \,\,\, I_2} \\ \,\,\,\, 2 \,\,\,\,\,\, 4 \,\,\,\,\, 8 \,\,\,\,\, 0 \\
\,\,\,\, \cdot \,\,\,\,\,\,\cdot \,\,\,\,\, \cdot \,\,\,\,\,\cdot \\
\,\,\,\, \cdot \,\,\,\,\,\,\cdot \,\,\,\,\, \cdot \,\,\,\,\,\cdot $$

I already filled in the first row for the first situation. Fill in the other two rows as much as you can for the second and third situations. Then, try to find values of ##a## and ##b## that makes the third row a linear superposition of the first two rows.

@TSny
Oh, so letting x be the first row, y be the second row, and z be the third row, I have that 4a + 5b = 8 and 8a - 10b = 4. Solving this system, a = 5/4 and b = 3/5.

Since V1 in Z is 2a + 0b, it's 5/2 and I2 in z = 0a - 10b = -6 mA. Is this right?

I believe that's right.

Thank you so much!

In two-port network with only passive elements and only linear elements one may use these equations:

V1=Z11*I1+Z12*I2

V2=Z21*I1+Z22*I2

V1,V2,I1,I2 change but Z11,Z12,Z21,and Z22 do not.

Then in first case in which I2=0 we apply V1 and get I1,I2 and V2.From the above equation we can get:

V1=Z11*I1 and Z11=V1/I1

V2=Z21*I1 then Z21=V2/I1

In second case [V1=0] we supply I2 and already knowing Z11 and Z21 we may calculate Z12 and Z22 from:

0=Z11*I1+Z12*I2

V2=Z21*I1+Z22*I2

Finally supplying V1 and I2 [unknown yet] we get V2 and I1 then:

V2=Z21*I1+Z22*I2

I2
=(V2-Z21*I1)/Z22 and V1=Z11*I1+Z12*I2

Related to Finding the missing current and voltage in a circuit with superposition

1. What is superposition in a circuit?

Superposition is a principle in circuit analysis that allows us to find the individual contributions of different voltage and current sources in a complex circuit by considering them one at a time and then adding them together.

2. How do you use superposition to find the missing current and voltage in a circuit?

To use superposition, we first turn off all but one voltage or current source and calculate the current and voltage in the circuit. We then repeat this for each source and add the results together to get the total current and voltage in the circuit.

3. What is the benefit of using superposition in circuit analysis?

Superposition allows us to simplify complex circuits and analyze them in smaller parts, making it easier to find the missing current and voltage. It also helps us understand the individual contributions of each source in the circuit.

4. Are there any limitations to using superposition in circuit analysis?

Superposition can only be used in linear circuits, meaning that the relationship between voltage and current must be linear. It also cannot be used in circuits with dependent sources, such as voltage-controlled voltage sources.

5. Can superposition be applied to any type of circuit?

Superposition can be applied to most types of circuits, but it is most useful in circuits with multiple independent voltage or current sources. It is not as effective in circuits with only one source or those with dependent sources.