Calculate the points on an ellipse that have tangents that pass through a point

In summary, the problem is to find the points on the ellipse x^2/100 + y^2/49 = 1 that have tangents passing through the point P(2, 7.7). The equations for the gradient of the ellipse and the tangent are calculated, and the goal is to make these two equations equal to each other. By substituting into the line equation formula and using the fact that if a=b then a^2=b^2, the solution can be found.
41193jms

Homework Statement

Find the points on the ellipse x^2/100 + y^2/49 = 1 that have tangents that pass through the point P(2, 7.7)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the gradient of the ellipse which came to dy/dx = -49x/100y
I then calculated the gradient of the tangent that passes through the point P(x,y) on the ellipse as dy/dx = 7.7-y/2-x
I then attempted to make these two equations equal to each other -49x/100y = 7.7-y/2-x and use the equation of the ellipse ie. rearrange for x and substitute but it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere

Physics news on Phys.org
Try substituting into the line equation formula, as opposed to the generic tangent and normal equations engineered for eclipses.

Last edited by a moderator:
so by using y-y1=m(x-x1) where m is -49x/100y and y1 is 7.7 and x1 is 2
i get y-7.7=-49x/100y(x-2)
when rearranged that becomes 100y^2-770y=-49x^2+98x i don't think that would help

You just haven't gone far enough. What is y^2?

y^2 by rearranging the ellipse formula is 49(100-x^2)/100 when i attempt to substitute into 100y^2 - 770y = -49x^2 +98x i am still left with a y

So keep going. Use that if a=b then a^2=b^2.

thanks i got it

Related to Calculate the points on an ellipse that have tangents that pass through a point

1. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a geometric shape that resembles a flattened circle. It is defined as the set of all points in a plane whose distances from two fixed points, called foci, add up to a constant value.

2. How do you calculate the points on an ellipse with tangents passing through a point?

To calculate the points on an ellipse that have tangents passing through a specific point, you will need to use the formula for finding the slope of the tangent line at any given point on the ellipse. This can be done by taking the derivative of the ellipse equation and substituting the coordinates of the given point into the resulting expression. The resulting value will be the slope of the tangent line. Next, you can use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line. Finally, you can solve for the points of intersection between the tangent line and the ellipse to find the desired points.

3. What is the application of calculating points on an ellipse with tangents passing through a point?

This type of calculation is often used in physics and engineering, specifically in areas such as optics, mechanics, and celestial mechanics. It allows for the determination of the path of an object or the trajectory of a moving body in relation to an ellipse.

4. Is there more than one solution for calculating the points on an ellipse with tangents passing through a point?

Yes, there can be multiple solutions for this problem. Depending on the position of the given point in relation to the ellipse, there may be one, two, or no points of intersection between the tangent line and the ellipse. It is important to consider all possible solutions when performing this calculation.

5. What are the limitations of this calculation?

This calculation assumes that the given point is outside the ellipse. If the point lies inside the ellipse, there will be no points of intersection between the tangent line and the ellipse. Additionally, the calculation is limited to ellipses with known foci and a known point on the ellipse. It cannot be used for ellipses with unknown or variable foci or points.