Calculate the period of the Pirate ship if it were a pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the period of a Pirate ship if it were a pendulum. The relevant equations, including sine laws and Soh Cah Toa, are mentioned. The conversation also includes a link to a diagram and a question about the length and mass of the pendulum. The conclusion is that the length should be 12 meters and the maximum angle of displacement should be 135 degrees.
Prim3

Homework Statement

Calculate the period of the Pirate ship if it were a pendulum.

Homework Equations

Sine laws: SinA/a = SinB/b = SinC/c

Soh Cah Toa as well for 90 degrees triangles.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/3668/scanrj4.jpg

I've tried it on there. I made a diagram but I'm lost. I need to find L and then t. I think it's 12, the radius. I'm not 100% sure though. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the length is suppose to be 12 meters. The mass should be concentrated to a point at the middle of the boat, which would then make the pendulum's length 12 meters.

maximum angle of displacement 135 degrees? Seems a bit high.

Related to Calculate the period of the Pirate ship if it were a pendulum

1. How do you calculate the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the length of the pendulum for the Pirate ship?

The length of the pendulum for the Pirate ship can vary, but it is typically around 9-10 meters.

3. How do you determine the acceleration due to gravity for the Pirate ship?

The acceleration due to gravity can be determined by using the equation g = 9.8 m/s^2. This value is constant and does not change based on the size or mass of the object.

4. Can you calculate the period of the Pirate ship if it is swinging in the ocean?

Yes, the period of the Pirate ship as a pendulum can still be calculated even if it is swinging in the ocean. The length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity would remain the same, but other factors such as wind and waves may affect the accuracy of the calculation.

5. What other factors can affect the period of the Pirate ship as a pendulum?

Other factors that can affect the period of the Pirate ship as a pendulum include the mass of the ship, the angle at which it is swinging, and any external forces acting on the ship such as wind or currents.