Vector diagrams and Calculating Angles

In summary, a cart of mass 357g is accelerating down a frictionless sloped track with an acceleration of 1.65ms-2. In order to calculate the slope of the track, a free body diagram must be drawn and Newton's second law must be used. The angle of the ramp can be found using the tangent function and the components of gravity acting on the cart. The model answer is correct and the "Math Error" was due to a miscalculation of the force of gravity.
FollowTheFez

Homework Statement

A cart of mass 357g is sent traveling down a frictionless sloped track.
It's acceleration is 1.65ms-2.
1. Draw a labelled free body diagram of the cart while it is accelerating down the track.
2. Using Newton's second law, calculate the slope of the track.

Homework Equations

SOH CAH TOA

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the model answers and I got the correct free body diagram (see attached).
What I don't understand is that when they change the x,y axis, where does θ end up?

Same diagram as attached, but I tried calculating like this without changing the axis...

F due to gravity = mg
F = 3.57kg x 9.8
F = 34.986N

Which would be the vertical component.

Hypotenuse would just be the acceleration at and angle down the slope.
F=ma
F = 3.57kg x 1.65
F = 5.8905N

Then by looking at SOH CAH TOA (I do need these to see why sin or cos is used!), we have the components opposite to the angle and the hypotenuse. Therefore we use sin.

sinθ = [itex]\frac{Opposite}{Hypotenuse}[/itex]
θ = sin-1 [itex]\frac{Opposite}{Hypotenuse}[/itex]
θ = sin-1 [itex]\frac{34.986}{5.8905}[/itex]
θ = MATH ERROR [itex]\leftarrow[/itex] That's what appears on my calculator when I plug it all in.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Can I calculate the answer without altering the axis? And if altering the axis would make it easier, where does θ end up?
I don't understand how the model answer has been worked.

Attachments

• Confusing.PNG
    Confusing.PNG
    4.9 KB · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org
is that the correct usage of inverse sin? I ask because I don't know myself.

462chevelle said:
is that the correct usage of inverse sin? I ask because I don't know myself.

If moving cos, sin or tan from one side of an equation to the over you must always take the inverse of it, if that's what you mean. I think I get "Math Error" because my opposite value is larger than my hypotenuse value. Which seems illogical. However I don't see any other value each of these could be.

shouldn't be solving for theta. should be using tangent right? it wants the slope

the only error I can find up to this point is where the decimal is. guess your going to have to wait for someone smarter lol.

How many grams are in 1 kg?

1000. so It would be .357

Poster above is correct, your first calculation is wrong. 357 grams is 0.357 kg, so your force is mg=3.4986 N

I think we need to turn the vector where the hypotenuse is the greatest force. I am at work right now and can't try to solve it but I think that's how to do it.

Hi,

The triangle you made is impossible, & that's why you get the error. It's not possible for the hypotenuse to be less than the sum of the other two sides.

As for your question about where the angle of the ramp goes, consider the following images.

Image 1. Box on a ramp with angle of incline shows the angle
Image 2. Box on a ramp with a FBD.

Notice that the angle of incline for the ramp, is the same angle that you find when you divide the force of gravity into the component of gravity down the track, and the component of gravity perpendicular to the track.

Does that help you see the angles, and why sinθ produces the component of gravity down the track?

(Obviously, there must not be any friction for your FBD to be true.)

Attachments

• box on ramp with angle.jpg
    box on ramp with angle.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 409
  • box on ramp with FBD.jpg
    box on ramp with FBD.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 388

Related to Vector diagrams and Calculating Angles

1. What is a vector diagram?

A vector diagram is a graphical representation of a vector, which is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is typically depicted as an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by using the distance formula, which is the same as the Pythagorean theorem but with the coordinates of the vector's endpoints.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature and time, while examples of vectors include velocity and force.

4. How do you calculate the angle between two vectors?

The angle between two vectors can be calculated using the dot product formula, which takes the dot product of the two vectors and divides it by the product of their magnitudes. The result is then put through an inverse cosine function to obtain the angle in radians.

5. What are some real-world applications of vector diagrams and calculating angles?

Vector diagrams and calculating angles are used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They are used to represent forces and velocities in mechanics, electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetism, and direction and distance in navigation. They are also used in computer graphics to create 3D objects, and in sports to analyze player movements and strategies.