Calculate the minimum work to extract a body of the water

In summary: Since we are doing integration to...In summary, the agent must do 10 m/s2 of work to extract the hemisphere from the tank of water.
orlan2r
A hemisphere of 8 kg mass and 20 cm radius is at the bottom of a tank containing water. Find out the minimum work that an agent must to do to extract the hemisphere of the water.(g = 10 m/s2)
prob_ener_pot_hid_01.jpg

Please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram of the sphere. It would also be helpful to know the depth of the water. Id the depth the same as the radius as the figure implies?

Just posting to be notified of the progress of this thread, if any.
I notice the density of the sphere is < density of water ...

SteamKing said:
If the depth the same as the radius as the figure implies?
We assume that level of water is constant and inicially half of the semiesphera is inside of water.

rude man said:
I notice the density of the sphere is < density of water ...
We assume that the density of the sphere is > density of water

orlan2r said:
We assume that the density of the sphere is > density of water

That's very difficult to do:
Volume of sphere = 4/3 pi r^3 with r = 20cm → V = 33,510 cc
Mass of sphere = m = 8kg = 8000 gm
Therefore density of sphere = m/V = o.24 gm/cc whereas water density = 1 gm/cc.

This whole problem looks ridiculous.

EDIT: or maybe not: if we assume the sphere does not touch the bottom then this is actually a good problem.

Last edited:
rude man said:
EDIT: or maybe not: if we assume the sphere does not touch the bottom then this is actually a good problem.
You don't need to make any such assumption. We're not told why it is at the bottom of the tank. Maybe it was being held down somehow.
On release, we could let it float and then lift it, but that would waste some of the potential energy. Assuming no losses, we can utilise the stored PE. That makes it a very easy calculation.

orlan2r said:
We assume that level of water is constant and inicially half of the semiesphera is inside of water.
The depth of water cannot be constant. I think you mean the hemisphere (i.e. half the sphere were it complete) is fully immersed.

rude man said:
Volume of sphere = 4/3 pi r^3 with r = 20cm → V = 33,510 cc
Mass of sphere = m = 8kg = 8000 gm
Therefore density of sphere = m/V = o.24 gm/cc whereas water density = 1 gm/cc.

You're right rude man. Density of body < density of water. Initially the force F points down to keep submerged hemisphere.

I hope this image can help to unterstand better this problem.

problem_min_work.jpg

Last edited:
haruspex said:
The depth of water cannot be constant. I think you mean the hemisphere (i.e. half the sphere were it complete) is fully immersed.

The level of the surface of water is constant and at beginning the hemisphere whole is inside of the water.

haruspex said:
You don't need to make any such assumption. We're not told why it is at the bottom of the tank. Maybe it was being held down somehow.
On release, we could let it float and then lift it, but that would waste some of the potential energy. Assuming no losses, we can utilise the stored PE. That makes it a very easy calculation.
Right haruspex.:smile:
Could help me in that (calculation)

Net force on the hemisphere= dF = weight of the hemisphere - bouyancy force.
Assume the density of hemisphere is greater than that of the water.
The volume of the submerged part of the hemisphere is equal to V = pi/3 x h^2 x (2r - h)
Bouyancy force = V x density of water.
Total work done W = Int. dF x dh form H to zero.

Last edited:
To make the surface constant height we have to assume an infinitely wide reservoir. As the hemisphere rises, the space it occupied is filled with water. Where, in effect, does that water come from? (I'm asking for a specific height within the reservoir.)

haruspex said:
To make the surface constant height we have to assume an infinitely wide reservoir. As the hemisphere rises, the space it occupied is filled with water. Where, in effect, does that water come from? (I'm asking for a specific height within the reservoir.)
In this problem, the surface of the water need not be at constant height. Bouyant force is independent of the size of the tank. If we assume the figure is correct, then the density of hemisphere is equal to the density of water. In that case it just submerses.

rl.bhat said:
In this problem, the surface of the water need not be at constant height.
You do need to assume that. If the level drops as the hemisphere rises then the buoyant force decreases faster.

haruspex said:
You do need to assume that. If the level drops as the hemisphere rises then the buoyant force decreases faster.
Since we are doing integration to find the total work done, the rate of change of depth does not matter. At any instant the buoyant force depends on the depth of the submersed portion of the hemisphere from the water surface.

rl.bhat said:
Since we are doing integration to find the total work done, the rate of change of depth does not matter. At any instant the buoyant force depends on the depth of the submersed portion of the hemisphere from the water surface.
Yes, but having raised the hemisphere a distance x, how much is still submerged? If the water level is constant it is 20cm-x, but if the tank has a finite extent the water level will have dropped and the submerged height will be less, reducing the buoyancy. As against that, it will not be necessary to raise the hemisphere 20cm to get it clear of the water. So it is not clear whether the work done will be more, the same or less. From a bit of algebra, looks to me like a falling water level requires more work to be done if, and only if, the density of the hemisphere exceeds half that of the water.

haruspex said:
Yes, but having raised the hemisphere a distance x, how much is still submerged? If the water level is constant it is 20cm-x, but if the tank has a finite extent the water level will have dropped and the submerged height will be less, reducing the buoyancy. As against that, it will not be necessary to raise the hemisphere 20cm to get it clear of the water. So it is not clear whether the work done will be more, the same or less. From a bit of algebra, looks to me like a falling water level requires more work to be done if, and only if, the density of the hemisphere exceeds half that of the water.

Yes. You are right.

I've resolved thus. I've using a concept called "energy potencial of pression" which is equal to pression of center gravity of body multiply for volumen of the body.
Could you verify my calculation please.
solved_problem.jpg

I get the same answer by what is probably an equivalent method. Since the water level is constant, the water that flows into replace the hemisphere effectively comes from the surface of the reservoir. The average distance it falls in the process is 3R/8.

Thanks haruspex. Then we could say that the buoyant force is a "conservative force" and therefore we could associate to this a energy potential?

orlan2r said:
Thanks haruspex. Then we could say that the buoyant force is a "conservative force" and therefore we could associate to this a energy potential?
Yes, it's a conservative force.

Related to Calculate the minimum work to extract a body of the water

1. What is the definition of minimum work in the context of extracting water from a body of water?

The minimum work refers to the amount of energy or force required to extract water from a body of water, such as a lake or ocean. It takes into account various factors such as the depth and volume of the water, as well as the energy needed to overcome friction and resistance.

2. How is the minimum work calculated for extracting water?

The minimum work can be calculated using the formula W = mgh, where W is the work, m is the mass of the water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or depth at which the water is being extracted. This formula takes into account the potential energy of the water at a certain depth.

3. Can the minimum work be reduced by using alternative extraction methods?

Yes, the minimum work can be reduced by using alternative extraction methods such as using pumps or turbines powered by renewable energy sources. These methods can reduce the energy needed to extract the water and therefore reduce the minimum work required.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated minimum work?

Yes, there are various factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated minimum work. These include variations in water density, changes in atmospheric pressure, and the presence of impurities in the water. These factors should be taken into consideration when calculating the minimum work.

5. How is the minimum work used in practical applications?

The minimum work is used in various practical applications, such as designing and optimizing water extraction systems for irrigation, hydroelectric power generation, and desalination plants. It is also used to determine the efficiency of these systems and to compare different extraction methods.