Calculate the impact force when falling from a height

In summary: He jumps from a height of 9.8 meters and falls to the ground in 1.5 seconds. In summary, he falls in 1.5 seconds and the impact generates an average force of 68 Newtons.
Emilyyyyyyyyy
Homework Statement
I have this scenerio where a man A jumps from a 400 m building. He is caught 5 meters below by man B (so at 395 m). man A hits with man B given his mass is 79.4 kg and the horizontal distance travelled is 3.86 meters, all in 1.5 seconds. How do I calculate the force that man A hits man B with?
Relevant Equations
vx = dx/t
W = FnetΔd
To find vx
vx = dx/t = 3.86 m/1.5 s= 2.573 m/s

To find Ek
Ek = ½mvx²= ½(79.4)(2.573)²= 262.8 J

W = FnetΔd
Fnet = 262.8 J/ 3.86 m = 68 N

He hits him with a force of 68N

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to explain the set-up more clearly.

Whose mass is 79.4kg? Do we know the mass of the other?

What is this horizontal distance? Is that from jumping to being caught, or is there further movement, maybe with both men together? What, exactly, takes 1.5s?

You won't be able to find an actual force. You could perhaps find an average force if you knew how long the impact lasted, but it is surely a lot less than 1.5s.
Do you mean you want to find the impulse?

+1

The force depends on how fast man A decelerates after hitting man B. This cannot be calculated using the information provided.

If man B is 2m tall then it might be reasonable to assume the stopping distance of man A is less than 2m. This could be used to estimate the deceleration and the minimum force of impact.

However the maximum force could be much higher.

Likes FactChecker
The falling man is going to be moving much faster in the y direction when he impacts the man on the ground than 2.573 m/s.

## vf = v0 + gt##

The man falls under the influence of gravity. So you can calculate the time Δt it takes to fall 5m and deduct it from 1.56 s to determine impact time. You can also use Δt to determine the horizontal and vertical components of the man's velocity and hence a resultant momentum. Assuming the 'catch' takes up the remaining time, the force (or average force) may be determined as Δp/(1.56 - Δt). Another assumption would be that the given horizontal and vertical distances are pre-collision.

Likes CWatters
neilparker62 said:
The man falls under the influence of gravity. So you can calculate the time Δt it takes to fall 5m and deduct it from 1.56 s to determine impact time. You can also use Δt to determine the horizontal and vertical components of the man's velocity and hence a resultant momentum. Assuming the 'catch' takes up the remaining time, the force (or average force) may be determined as Δp/(1.56 - Δt). Another assumption would be that the given horizontal and vertical distances are pre-collision.
We are not told that the jump is horizontal. The time for the fall cannot be determined in this manner.

In addition, even if we grant the assumption of a horizontal launch, a fall of 5 meters would take about 0.7 seconds leaving 0.8 seconds for the collision 1.0 seconds leaving 0.5 seconds for the collision. It might be plausible for a high acceleration catch (over a distance of no more than about 2 meters) to match with a presumed to be instantaneous jump and a 9.8 m/sec2 fall (over a distance of 5 meters).

Taking the 1.5 second figure at face value would allow one to compute the required vertical component of the launch velocity to arrive 5 meters below at the appointed time. It would also allow one to compute the required horizontal component of the launch velocity to arrive 3.86 meters out at the appointed time. With launch velocity in hand, one could proceed to determining impact velocity and impact momentum.

That leads straight to the problem that @haruspex pointed out in #2 -- without a time taken for the collision there is no way to convert impact momentum to the average force required to dissipate it.

Edit: Thank you, @neilparker62 for the sanity check on the fall time.

Last edited:
Once again one is guessing the situation. I am imagining a person running along the top of a building (presumably on fire or something) and jumping towards rescuers in a nearby building. Otherwise how else can there be horizontal motion at all ? I am also imagining the person to be jumping as 'flat' as possible - hence horizontal launch and zero initial vertical velocity.

5 = 1/2 x 9.8 x t^2 gets me to t=1.01 s leaving 0.49 s for impact time (?). In my previous post, I did misread 1.5 s as 1.56 s for some reason.

Perhaps the OP could clarify for us the exact situation as requested by Haruspex in post #2 ?

Likes jbriggs444
neilparker62 said:
5 = 1/2 x 9.8 x t^2 gets me to t=1.01 s leaving 0.49 s for impact time
Right you are. I was taking an inappropriate square root of 0.5.

Something like this perhaps:

Related to Calculate the impact force when falling from a height

1. What is the formula for calculating impact force when falling from a height?

The formula for calculating impact force is F = m x a, where F is the impact force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. How do you determine the mass of an object when calculating impact force?

The mass of an object can be determined by using a scale or measuring its weight in kilograms.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity and why is it important in calculating impact force?

The acceleration due to gravity is the rate at which an object falls towards the ground under the influence of gravity. It is important in calculating impact force because it determines how quickly an object will accelerate as it falls, and therefore, the force it will exert upon impact.

4. Why is it important to calculate impact force when falling from a height?

Calculating impact force is important in understanding the potential damage and injury that can occur from a fall. It can also help in designing safety measures and equipment to prevent or minimize the impact of a fall.

5. How can the impact force be reduced when falling from a height?

The impact force can be reduced by increasing the time of impact, such as by using a cushioned surface or safety equipment, or by decreasing the mass or velocity of the falling object.