Calculate the final temperature and volume

In summary, the problem involves finding the final temperature and volume, as well as the work done, for a perfect gas undergoing adiabatic expansion from an initial temperature and pressure. The equations used are U(internal energy) = 3/2RT, pV = RT, and W = 3n/2 RT. The poster also asks for help in calculating the internal energy of an ideal gas, which can be found using a formula or by referencing previous posts.
kingyof2thejring

Homework Statement

One mole of a perfect gas with molar heat capacity at constant volume, CV = 20.8 J K-1mole-1 is initially at 310 K and 3.25 x 105 Pa. It then expands adiabatically until it reaches a pressure of 2.50 x 105 Pa.
Calculate the final temperature and volume, and the work done.

Homework Equations

U(internal energy)=3/2RT
pV=RT

The Attempt at a Solution

to get the initial V do i use pV=RT?
Is work done = internal energy in an adiabatic process WD=3/2RT?
thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the system exchanges no heat energy with it's surroundings, then how could your conclusion be wrong?

Homework Equations

U(internal energy)=3/2RT
U = nC_vT = (3n/2)RT
pV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

to get the initial V do i use pV=RT?
Is work done = internal energy in an adiabatic process WD=3/2RT?
thanks in advance
You have to use n: PV = nRT and W = 3n/2 RT

AM

Is there anyone who can help me in this regard...this is the first message i am posting in this forum

I want to calculate internal energy of an ideal gas. Are there any formulae for that or is there any method to calculate internal energy.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me in this regard.

karthikmece said:
Is there anyone who can help me in this regard...this is the first message i am posting in this forum

I want to calculate internal energy of an ideal gas. Are there any formulae for that or is there any method to calculate internal energy.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me in this regard.

If you are going to ask a new question - start a new thread. But, yes, there is a formula for internal energy of an ideal gas. Look it up. Or just look at the preceding posts...

Related to Calculate the final temperature and volume

1. How do you calculate the final temperature and volume?

To calculate the final temperature and volume, you need to use the ideal gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is equal to the product of the number of moles of gas, the gas constant, and the temperature in Kelvin. By rearranging this equation, you can solve for the final temperature and volume.

2. What information do I need to calculate the final temperature and volume?

You will need to know the initial temperature and volume, the number of moles of gas, and the pressure. These values can be obtained from experimental data or given in the problem statement.

3. Can I use any units to calculate the final temperature and volume?

No, the ideal gas law requires that the temperature be in Kelvin and the volume in liters. If your initial values are in different units, you will need to convert them before using the equation.

4. Is the final temperature and volume always accurate?

The ideal gas law is based on certain assumptions and may not be accurate in all situations. It is most accurate for gases at low pressures and high temperatures. If your experimental data or problem statement do not meet these conditions, the calculated values may not be accurate.

5. How can I use the final temperature and volume in further calculations?

The final temperature and volume can be used in various equations and formulas, depending on the specific problem. They can also be used to determine other properties of the gas, such as its density or molar mass.