Calculate the distance of the ship from the island

• Thread starter xcalibur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ship
In summary, the survivor hears the horn twice, and the time lapse between the blasts was 4 seconds. The horn must have travelled 6000-s to get there, and the echo would be heard at 330m/s from the cliff.
xcalibur

Homework Statement

This is a pretty challenging question... if someone could solve it and confirm my answer I would appreciate it.

The survivor of a shipwreck lands on an island which is 3000 m from a vertical cliff.
He sees a ship anchored between the island and the cliff.A blast from the ship's horn is heard twice with a time lapse of 4 seconds.Calculate the distance s of the ship from the island.(Assume that the speed of sound is 330 m/s )

Homework Equations

v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm getting 840 m... if someone has a difference answer please let me know how you did it.
And try to make it as simple as possible.. just a HS question

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Perhaps you can explain how you arrived at that number?

Well actually now I'm starting to believe that isn't correct anymore.
This is how I am doing it now.

6000-s over 330 - s over 330 = 4

With this I'm arriving at a different solution, which I think is correct.

Draw a picture.

You said the survivor hears the horn twice. If the sound was heard twice, how did this happen?

On your diagram, draw the path that the sound must take for both the first and the second blasts.

Obviously the second blast had to travel further if it got there later. How much further did this second blast need to travel??

xcalibur said:
Well actually now I'm starting to believe that isn't correct anymore.
This is how I am doing it now.

6000-s over 330 - s over 330 = 4

With this I'm arriving at a different solution, which I think is correct.

If you were standing on the boat, and you rang the bell, when would you hear the echo? At 330m/s how far away from you would the cliff be at that point?

Related to Calculate the distance of the ship from the island

1. How do you calculate the distance of a ship from an island?

To calculate the distance of a ship from an island, you would need to know the latitude and longitude coordinates of both the ship and the island. Then, you can use the Haversine formula or the Pythagorean theorem to determine the distance between the two points.

2. What tools or equipment are needed to calculate the distance of a ship from an island?

To calculate the distance of a ship from an island, you will need a map or chart with latitude and longitude coordinates, a compass or GPS to determine the ship's location, and a calculator or computer to perform the calculations.

3. Can the distance of a ship from an island be accurately determined without using any tools?

No, the distance of a ship from an island cannot be accurately determined without using any tools. It is necessary to have at least a map or chart with coordinates and a means to determine the ship's location in order to calculate the distance.

4. How can the distance of a ship from an island be used in navigation?

The distance of a ship from an island can be used in navigation to determine the ship's position and course. By knowing the distance from the island, the ship's location can be plotted on a map or chart, and the course can be adjusted accordingly.

5. Are there any factors that may affect the accuracy of calculating the distance of a ship from an island?

Yes, there are several factors that may affect the accuracy of calculating the distance of a ship from an island. These include errors in determining the coordinates, variations in magnetic declination, and environmental factors such as wind and currents that may affect the ship's course.