Projectile Motion: Safe Distances from Enemy Ship

In summary: I got my answer with the solving for the angle way. x>3480 or x<270. Tiny Tim I don't understand your method, can you please explain?In summary, the enemy ship can shoot projectiles with an initial speed of 250m/s. If the eastern shore line is horizontally 300m from the peak, what are the distances from the eastern shore at which a shop can be safe from the bombardment of the enemy ship?
blackboy

Homework Statement

An enemy ship is on the western side of a mountain island. The enemy ship can maneuver to within 2500 m of the 1800 m high mountain peak and can shoot projectiles with an initial speed of 250m/s. If the eastern shore line is horizontally 300m from the peak, what are the distances from the eastern shore at which a shop can be safe from the bombardment of the enemy ship?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got what ranges you could be farther away than or x>3577.55, but I can't find a way to get the x< part. I have y=Tanθx-gx²/(125000Cos²θ). And I made an inequality where y>1800. I don't think this is the right approach though. Also I am not sure if the ship can move back or not. If it can't please tell me and then I would know how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi blackboy! :smile:
blackboy said:
Also I am not sure if the ship can move back or not.

The shop moves but the ship doesn't. :wink:

(if i'd written the question, the projectiles would have been sheep. :rolleyes:)
I got what ranges you could be farther away than or x>3577.55, but I can't find a way to get the x< part. I have y=Tanθx-gx²/(125000Cos²θ). And I made an inequality where y>1800. I don't think this is the right approach though.

Why do you still have θ in your equations?

The x and y equations should have cosθ and sinθ, but then you should eliminate θ (squaring and adding usually works).

Show us what you get. :smile:

You could try this approach:

The projectile needs to clear the peak. Consider the peak to be a point on the left-hand side of the "initial" parabola and see at what angle it should be launched to pass through it. Try and figure out what will happen if is launched at higher elevations, that is will it clear the peak? This will happen if the centre of the "initial" parabola is to the right of the peak.

The closest that the shot can get is when the peak is a point on the right-hand side of the parabola isn't it?

Last edited:
Ok so then can't I solve for θ in my quadratic if I make everything in terms of Tanθ and have that parabola going through the point 2500,1800?

el … I am … in … ate !

blackboy said:
Ok so then can't I solve for θ in my quadratic if I make everything in terms of Tanθ and have that parabola going through the point 2500,1800?

Yes, you could …

but why bother when the question doesn't ask for θ …

don't try to understand the little varmint :rolleyes:

just eliminate it! :biggrin:

(oh … and that'ld only give you the angle to hit the shop if it's on the edge of the cliff :wink:)

blackboy said:

Yes, that will give you the two launching angles and their subsequent ranges. The larger angle gives the smaller range since the projectile passes throught the point on its way down and the smaller angle gives the larger range since it passes the point on its way up.

I got my answer with the solving for the angle way. x>3480 or x<270. Tiny Tim I don't understand your method, can you please explain?

blackboy said:
I got my answer with the solving for the angle way. x>3480 or x<270. Tiny Tim I don't understand your method, can you please explain?

Your answers don't seem right to me. If I work backwards from them I get that the projectile will be at a height of 1262 m for your x = 3480 m (theta = 40,0 degrees) and 119 m for your x = 270 m (theta = 14,4 degrees) at the position of the peak?

The angles I got were 50.1 and 75.6. The ranges were then respectively 6280 and 3070. Then subtracting 2800 I got 3480 and 270. Also can you tell me why you we want the parabola going through 2500,1800? I would imagine we could get closer to the eastern shore if we got a higher angle?

Yes, the range would be less but the projectile will hit the mountain. That is the axis of the parabola is on the western side of the mountain. Launching at a higher elevation shifts it even further westwards causing the projectile to pass the peak at a lower height, and crashing into the mountain. Try it, calculate y(2500) for a slightly larger angle.

Last edited:

Related to Projectile Motion: Safe Distances from Enemy Ship

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path due to the force of gravity.

2. How does a ship gun use projectile motion?

A ship gun uses projectile motion by launching a projectile, such as a cannonball, at a high velocity in a curved path towards a target. The projectile's trajectory is determined by the angle of the gun's barrel and the force of gravity, allowing for accurate long distance shots.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile from a ship gun?

The main factors that affect the trajectory of a projectile from a ship gun are the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle of the gun's barrel, air resistance, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as wind and the shape of the projectile can also have an impact.

4. Can the projectile from a ship gun travel in a straight line?

No, due to the force of gravity, the projectile from a ship gun will always follow a curved path. However, with precise calculations and adjustments, the trajectory can be made to appear relatively straight.

5. How is projectile motion from a ship gun used in real-life situations?

Projectile motion from a ship gun is commonly used in military warfare, specifically naval battles. It is also utilized in sports, such as javelin throwing and archery, and in engineering for designing and testing projectiles for various purposes.