Calculate the annual energy consumption for a computer

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the annual energy consumption of a complete desktop that uses an average of 200 Watt hours (Wh), including the computer itself, internet modem, printer, and loudspeakers. The goal is to find the energy use in Wh for a 200W computer used for 8 hours a day and multiply it by 365 days to get the annual consumption. The person requesting the calculation is also asking for it to be rounded off to one significant figure.
t0mm02
Homework Statement
annual energy consumption
Relevant Equations
annual energy consumption
Hello everyone, I have found this on internet but I don't get the calculations. Can someone do the calculations and show me that the annual consumption is 600 kWh is you use a 200 Wh computer for 8 hours?:
A complete desktop uses an average of 200 Watt hours (Wh). This is the sum of the average consumption per hour of the computer itself (171 W), the internet modem (10 W), the printer (5 W) and the loudspeakers (20 W). Assuming that a computer is on for eight hours a day, the annual consumption comes to 600 kWh

Physics news on Phys.org
t0mm02 said:
A complete desktop uses an average of 200 Watt hours (Wh)
There is no such thing as a power in Wh. Power is in Watts, and energy use is in Whr.

So the problem asks you to compute the energy use in Wh for a 200W computer that is used 8 hours a day, and multiply by 365 days/year to find the energy consumption for a year. And apparently they want you to round the answer off to 1 significant figure.

Can you show us that calculation? :smile:

t0mm02 said:
Can someone do the calculations and show me that the annual consumption is 600 kWh is you use a 200 Wh computer for 8 hours?:
So, you are saying that you cannot do simple multiplication and addition? A "kWh" is 1000 watts for one hour. You have 200 Watts per hour for 8 hours per day. What does that work out to?

Related to Calculate the annual energy consumption for a computer

1. How do I calculate the annual energy consumption for my computer?

To calculate the annual energy consumption for your computer, you will need to know the wattage of your computer's power supply unit (PSU) and the average number of hours your computer is in use per day. Multiply the wattage by the number of hours and then by 365 days to get the annual energy consumption in watt-hours (Wh).

2. What is the average wattage of a computer's power supply unit?

The average wattage of a computer's power supply unit can vary depending on the type and specifications of the computer. However, most desktop computers have a PSU with a wattage between 300-500 watts, while laptops typically have a lower wattage of 30-90 watts.

3. How many hours per day is a computer typically in use?

The number of hours a computer is in use per day can vary greatly depending on the individual's habits and usage patterns. However, on average, a computer is in use for about 8 hours per day.

4. Can I use the same calculation for both desktop and laptop computers?

Yes, you can use the same calculation for both desktop and laptop computers. However, keep in mind that laptops typically have a lower wattage, so their annual energy consumption may be lower compared to desktop computers.

5. How can I reduce the annual energy consumption of my computer?

To reduce the annual energy consumption of your computer, you can try using energy-saving settings, such as putting your computer to sleep or hibernate when not in use, adjusting the screen brightness, and using a power strip to turn off all peripherals when the computer is not in use. You can also consider upgrading to a more energy-efficient computer or using alternative energy sources, such as solar power, to power your computer.