Annual energy consumption in 4 different cases

• Thread starter t0mm02
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the annual energy consumption for 6 electric devices can be calculated using the following information: A consumes 177 kWh 5 times a day, B consumes 39 kWh over 4 nights, and C consumes 134 kWh over 60 hours per week. It doesn't matter whether the calculations are done in days or hours as long as they are done correctly.
t0mm02
Homework Statement
The A operation consumes 177 kWh 5 times a day for 6 devices for 250 days a year (9 operational hours daily)
Each device consumes 113 kWh daily for 250 days a year (9 operational hours daily)
The B operation, which consists of having the 6 devices working on minimum energy overnight for 4 nights during 50 weeks, consumes a total of 39 kWh (12h of minimum energy consumption and 200 days)
The C operation, which consists of having only 3 devices from Friday 5pm until Monday 8am for 50 weeks, consumes 134 kWh (60 hours per week for 50 weeks)
Relevant Equations
Annual Energy comsumptiom (KW·h) = (average power consumption during opreration × annual hours of operation) + (sleep mode consumption × (8760 − hours of operation))
Hello everyone. I need to calculate the annual energy consumption for a total of 6 electric devices. I got the following information:
  • The A operation consumes 177 kWh 5 times a day for 6 devices for 250 days a year (9 operational hours daily)
  • Each device consumes 113 kWh daily for 250 days a year (9 operational hours daily)
  • The B operation, which consists of having the 6 devices working on minimum energy overnight for 4 nights during 50 weeks, consumes a total of 39 kWh (12h of minimum energy consumption and 200 days)
  • The C operation, which consists of having only 3 devices from Friday 5pm until Monday 8am for 50 weeks, consumes 134 kWh (60 hours per week for 50 weeks)
My main problem here is that I don't know whether to do the calculations in days (250 days or 50 weeks) or hours (6000 hours in 250 days and 8400 hours in 50 weeks) as all the energy consumption information that I have got is in kWh.
Also, if I calculate the information in hours in stead of days, I get really big numbers and I don't know if the result is also in kWh.

Physics news on Phys.org
Either way should give you the same result, if done correctly.
A natural year has 8760 hours.
1 kWh is a unit of energy (work, heat or both).
For the requested total yearly numbers, it does not matter how fast that energy was used by the equipment within one year.

Please, see:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilowatt-hour

:cool:

Last edited:
t0mm02 said:
I get really big numbers
Impossible to tell whether you are on the right track without seeing your working.

Related to Annual energy consumption in 4 different cases

1. What is annual energy consumption?

Annual energy consumption refers to the amount of energy used by a particular system or device over the course of one year. It is typically measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh) or British thermal units (BTUs).

2. How is annual energy consumption calculated?

Annual energy consumption is calculated by multiplying the power (in watts) of a device by the number of hours it is used in a year. The resulting number is then converted to the appropriate unit of measurement, such as kWh or BTUs.

3. What are the 4 different cases in annual energy consumption?

The 4 different cases in annual energy consumption refer to the different scenarios or conditions in which energy consumption is measured. This could include different types of devices, different locations, or different time periods.

4. Why is it important to track annual energy consumption?

Tracking annual energy consumption is important because it allows us to understand how much energy we are using and where it is being used. This information can help us make more informed decisions about energy efficiency and conservation.

5. How can we reduce annual energy consumption?

There are several ways to reduce annual energy consumption, including using energy-efficient devices, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, and using renewable energy sources. It is also important to be mindful of our energy usage and make small changes in our daily habits to conserve energy.