Calculate Strain of a Cable: 10-m Long w/ 25-N Sign

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of strain in a 10-m long cable with a "No Hippos in the Pool" sign weighing 25-N suspended from the middle. The cable stretches by 2.5 cm and the first step is to use the formula ΔL/L0 to find the strain. The conversation also briefly touches on the concept of strain as a measure of geometrical deformation and suggests using a free-body diagram and geometry to find the length of the cable.
pippintook
A 10-m long cable has a "No Hippos in the Pool" sign weighing 25-N suspended from the middle of the cable. The cable stretches by 2.5 cm. What is the strain in the cable?

I know strain is ΔL/L0, but don't really know how that plays out in this scenario. If you could give me the first step or so, that'd be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
pippintook said:
A 10-m long cable has a "No Hippos in the Pool" sign weighing 25-N suspended from the middle of the cable. The cable stretches by 2.5 cm. What is the strain in the cable?

I know strain is ΔL/L0, but don't really know how that plays out in this scenario. If you could give me the first step or so, that'd be great!

ΔL/Lo is strain, so it looks to me like that's all you need to do.

Strain is a measure of geometrical deformation right?

Well, my problem is more how I find L than how to find strain I guess.

pippintook said:
Well, my problem is more how I find L than how to find strain I guess.

It's not 10m ?

Draw a FBD showing the sagging cable and do a bit of geometry.

Related to Calculate Strain of a Cable: 10-m Long w/ 25-N Sign

1. How do I calculate the strain of a cable?

To calculate the strain of a cable, you will need to know the length of the cable (in meters) and the applied force (in Newtons). Then, you can use the formula strain = force / length to find the strain of the cable.

2. What is the equation for calculating strain?

The equation for calculating strain is strain = force / length. This equation takes into account both the length of the cable and the amount of force applied to it.

3. Can you provide an example calculation for finding the strain of a cable?

Sure, let's say we have a cable that is 10 meters long and has a force of 25 Newtons applied to it. Using the equation strain = force / length, we can calculate the strain as follows: strain = 25 N / 10 m = 2.5 N/m. Therefore, the strain of the cable is 2.5 N/m.

4. How is strain different from stress?

Strain and stress are related but different concepts. Strain is a measure of the deformation or elongation of a material, while stress is a measure of the internal forces acting within a material. In the context of a cable, strain is a measure of how much the cable has stretched under the applied force, while stress is a measure of the internal forces within the cable that are resisting the applied force.

5. What are some common units for strain?

Some common units for strain include meters per meter (m/m), millimeters per meter (mm/m), and inches per inch (in/in). These units represent the amount of deformation per unit length of the material.