Convert N/m^2 to Newtons, beam problem

In summary, to convert units from N/m^2 to Newtons, you can use the breaking strength and cross-sectional area to calculate the force. In the given problem, the maximum mass that the system can support before the cable breaks is 5755.71 kg.
bjorn_v

Homework Statement

I want to convert 110.0 x 10^6 N/m^2 to Newtons. How do I do this?

Reason: I have the following problem and the following question to answer:

P: A heavy mass is supported by a beam-cable system as shown in the figure. The beam is 5.000 m long with a mass of 36.00 kg. The aluminum cable is 8.000 m long with a circular cross section and a diameter of 0.8200 cm. The beam and cable are attached to the wall. A heavy mass is 400.0 kg and is hanging at a point 4.000 m
from the wall.

Q: What is the maximum mass that this system can support before the cable breaks?

5pfmh.jpg

(Assume the mass of the cable is negligible
Assume the cable that connects the mass to the beam does not stretch
Young's modulus for aluminum is 70.00 x 109 N/m^2
The breaking strength of aluminum is 110.0 x 106 N/m^2)

Based on this video ( ) I know how to solve the problem, except only if the units are in plain Newtons. So how do I convert them?

OR, if converting is not possible, how do I solve this problem with N/m^2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]T_n=T_1+T_2+T_3+T_4[/tex]
[tex]0=0-2.500*36.00*9.81-4.000*m*9.81+5*F_4[/tex]
So I want to find m.
[tex]F_4=T*\sinθ[/tex]
[tex]F_4=?*\sin(\arcsin(\frac{\sqrt{39}}{8}))[/tex]

I know that the breaking strength of aluminum is 110.0 x 106 N/m^2, but how do I convert that to Newtons so I can solve for F4?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey bjorn,

Were you given an answer to check your work with?

EDIT: Also do you know where the mass is located on the beam?

Gauss said:
Hey bjorn,

Were you given an answer to check your work with?

EDIT: Also do you know where the mass is located on the beam?

No I was not.

Also I forgot to include part of the question. I have updated it with the following information:

A heavy mass is 400.0 kg and is hanging at a point 4.000 m from the wall.

So it is located 4.000m from the wall.

You have to use your circular cross section information. The thicker the wire, the more force the wire can take before it breaks. How do you think you can use this information?

Remember that Torque = F*R (dot product), and the overall torque of the system has to be 0, otherwise the system would be in movement.

Newtons cannot be converted to N/m2 because they are different kinds of units used to measure different things. But the stress (measured in N/m2) can be CALCULATED from the force and the cross section area.

Based on what you all have said, I figured I could get a Newton value by multiplying the breaking strength by the cross-sectional area of the wire. Cross-sectional area would be m2 so the units would cancel out.

[tex]F_4=110.0*106*(\frac{0.0082}{2})^2*\pi*\frac{\sqrt{39}}{8}=45347.42[/tex]
[tex]-4.000*m*9.81=0-2.500*36.00*9.81+5*45347.42[/tex]
[tex]m=\frac{-2.500*36.00*9.81+5*45347.42}{-4.000*9.81}[/tex]
[tex]m=5755.71[/tex]

Related to Convert N/m^2 to Newtons, beam problem

1. How do I convert N/m^2 to Newtons?

To convert N/m^2 to Newtons, you need to multiply the value in N/m^2 by the area in square meters. The resulting unit will be in Newtons (N).

2. Can I use N/m^2 to measure the weight of an object?

No, N/m^2 is a unit of pressure and cannot be used to measure weight. To measure weight, you need to use the unit of Newtons (N).

3. What is the significance of using N/m^2 in a beam problem?

N/m^2 is used to measure stress and pressure on a beam. It represents the amount of force applied per unit area on the beam.

4. How do I calculate the force on a beam using N/m^2?

To calculate the force on a beam using N/m^2, you need to multiply the stress (in N/m^2) by the cross-sectional area of the beam (in square meters).

5. Is N/m^2 the same as N/mm^2?

No, N/m^2 and N/mm^2 are not the same units. N/mm^2 is a unit of pressure that is 1000 times larger than N/m^2. To convert between the two, you need to multiply or divide by 1000.