Calculate Speed for Motorbike Crossing a 40m Wide River Using a 53 Degree Ramp

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a motorbike crossing a river using a ramp. The river is 40m wide and the bank on the opposite side is 15m lower. The ramp angle is 53 degrees and the question is about the speed needed at take off. The conversation includes equations and attempts at a solution, with the final answer being 17.8 m/s. There is also a discussion about choosing a direction for calculations and following it consistently.
PonderingMick

Homework Statement

Motorbike crossing a river using a ramp. River is 40m wide, the bank on the opposite side is 15m lower. The ramp angle is 53 degress. What is the speed needed at take off?

Homework Equations

I am using s = ut for the horizontal
and s = ut x 1/2 at2
I think because the bank is lower the other side I need to use the quadratic equation?

The Attempt at a Solution

Using s = ut I get ut = 50/cos 53
Which I then substitue in s = ut x 1/2 at2
Which gives:
15 = 40/cos53 + 1/2 at2
Which i rearrange:
4.92 + 40/cos53 -15 = 0
I then try and use the quadratic equation:
t = (-66√662-4 * 4.9 * -15) /9.8
Which gives 0.22s or -13s

Am I anywhere near the solution?
I know the answer is 19.8 m/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the answer is 19.8 m/s?

Yes, the answer is in my textbook

Check your directions.Gravity acts downwards, you've substituted g without a negative sign.

t = (-66√662-4 * 4.9 * -15) /9.8
So I use -4.9 instead
t = -66 + or - ( √662 -4 * -4.9 * -15) /9.8
t = -66 + or - ( √4356 - 294) /9.8
t = -66 + or - (66-294) /9.8
t = -66 + or - -23
t = -66+-23 = -89 or -43

t must be +ve?

The bank on the other side is 15 m LOWER. So the displacement is actually "-15" m.

You don't have to choose the conventional directions like g acts downwards, but whatever you choose, make sure you do choose something, and follow it throughout the question. If "up" is positive, it should be positive throughout.

Just checked the answer and its actually 17.8 ms-1, will try and work through it again later.

Related to Calculate Speed for Motorbike Crossing a 40m Wide River Using a 53 Degree Ramp

1. How do you calculate the speed for a motorbike crossing a 40m wide river using a 53 degree ramp?

To calculate the speed of a motorbike crossing a 40m wide river using a 53 degree ramp, you will need to use the formula: Speed = Distance / Time. In this case, the distance is the width of the river (40m) and the time is the time it takes for the motorbike to cross the river. The time can be calculated by dividing the length of the ramp by the speed of the motorbike. This will give you the average speed at which the motorbike crossed the river.

2. What is the significance of the 53 degree ramp in this calculation?

The 53 degree ramp is significant because it affects the distance and time calculations. The steeper the ramp, the shorter the distance the motorbike will travel and the faster it will cross the river. A shallower ramp would result in a longer distance and slower crossing speed.

3. How do you measure the time it takes for the motorbike to cross the river?

The time can be measured by using a stopwatch or a timer. The timer should be started when the motorbike begins crossing the river and stopped when it reaches the other side. The resulting time will be used in the speed calculation.

4. Can this calculation be applied to other vehicles besides motorbikes?

Yes, the same calculation can be applied to any vehicle crossing a 40m wide river using a 53 degree ramp. However, the speed and time may vary depending on the weight and power of the vehicle.

5. How accurate is this calculation in real-world situations?

This calculation provides an estimate of the speed at which a motorbike crosses a 40m wide river using a 53 degree ramp. However, in real-world situations, there may be other factors that could affect the speed, such as wind resistance, road conditions, and the skill of the rider. Therefore, the calculated speed should be considered as an approximation rather than an exact measurement.