Boat crossing river problem using reference frames

In summary: Finally, to determine how long it takes for the boat to cross the river, we can use the formula d = rt where d is the distance (110 meters), r is the rate (11.9 m/s), and t is the time. Plugging in the values, we get: 110 m = (11.9 m/s)t Solving for t, we get t = 9.24 seconds. In summary, the boat's velocity relative to the ground is 11.9 m/s at an angle of 37 degrees west of north, and it takes 9.24 seconds for the boat to cross the river.
leroyjenkens

Homework Statement

A 110-m-wide river flows due east at a uniform speed of 3.3 m/s. A boat with a speed of 8.6 m/s relative to the water leaves the south bank pointed in a direction 37 degrees west of north. What is the (a) magnitude and (b) direction of the boat's velocity relative to the ground? Give the direction as the angle of the velocity from due north, positive if to the east and negative if to the west. (c) How long does it take for the boat to cross the river?

Homework Equations

I was using the PA = PB + BA equation. Which is supposed to be set up like this: the velocity of something with respect to something else, equals, the velocity of something with respect to something else, plus, the velocity of something with respect to something else. Now I know how to do this problem, because it's simple enough to do without using the equation I just mentioned. But I was supposed to use this equation to do the problem.
What I did instead was I just thought about it logically. The river is moving east and the boat is moving in the westward direction, so I separated the boat's velocity into X and Y components and subtracted the X component from the velocity of the river and then solved from there.

But as far as the equation goes, how do I set up the equation? Which velocity goes on the left side of the equation and which velocities go on the right side? As far as I can tell, it makes a huge difference.
I tried using that equation to solve the problem, but the way I set up the equation, I ended up with an equation that would add the boat's velocity to the river's velocity, which would mean the boat would go faster in the west direction, even though the river is moving east. That would make no sense.
So anyone know how to set up that equation? In my book it's under the "Relative Motion in One direction" section, if that helps.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Attempt at a SolutionI was using the PA = PB + BA equation. Which is supposed to be set up like this: the velocity of something with respect to something else, equals, the velocity of something with respect to something else, plus, the velocity of something with respect to something else. For this problem, the left side of the equation would be the boat's velocity relative to the ground, and the right side of the equation would be the sum of the boat's velocity relative to the water (8.6 m/s) and the velocity of the water relative to the ground (3.3 m/s). So the equation would look like this: Vboat (relative to ground) = Vboat (relative to water) + Vwater (relative to ground)Using this equation, we can solve for Vboat (relative to ground) by plugging in the known values: Vboat (relative to ground) = 8.6 m/s + 3.3 m/s Vboat (relative to ground) = 11.9 m/s Now that we have the magnitude of the boat's velocity relative to the ground, we can use the angle given in the problem (37 degrees west of north) to determine the direction. So the direction of the boat's velocity relative to the ground is 37 degrees west of north.

Related to Boat crossing river problem using reference frames

1. What is the boat crossing river problem and why is it important?

The boat crossing river problem is a classic physics problem that involves a boat crossing a river with a current. It is important because it helps us understand the concept of reference frames and how they affect the motion of objects.

2. What are reference frames and how do they relate to the boat crossing river problem?

Reference frames are a set of coordinates used to describe the position and motion of an object. In the boat crossing river problem, there are two reference frames - the river frame and the shore frame. The boat's motion is different in each frame, which helps us understand the concept of relative motion.

3. How do you solve the boat crossing river problem using reference frames?

To solve the boat crossing river problem, you need to first draw a diagram with the river and shore frames, and label the boat's velocity in each frame. Then, use the concept of relative motion to find the boat's actual velocity and direction. Finally, use this information to determine the boat's path across the river.

4. How does the speed of the river's current affect the boat's motion in the boat crossing river problem?

The speed of the river's current affects the boat's motion in both reference frames. In the river frame, the current's speed is added to the boat's velocity, while in the shore frame, the current's speed affects the boat's direction. A faster current will make it more difficult for the boat to cross the river.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the boat crossing river problem using reference frames?

Yes, the boat crossing river problem has real-world applications in fields such as navigation and river engineering. Understanding the concept of reference frames and how they affect the motion of objects helps in predicting the behavior of boats and other objects in rivers or other bodies of water with currents.