Calculate Rubber Band Force to Hold 5 kg Box Without Deforming >1mm

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to determine the appropriate rubber band size and tension to hold together the top and bottom halves of a box without deforming it more than 1mm. Trial and error is suggested, but it is also possible to calculate the minimum width of the band based on the weight of the box and the strain-tension relationship of rubber tubing. The use of multiple rubber bands or cutting and tying one band may also be options to consider.
choudhari.mayu
Hello i need to know what should i do,

Consider i have a box, top half and bottom half. so now i have to hold the top half and bottom half together with the rubber band then how do i know what rubber band will be enough to exert force so that both parts of box are hold together.

also i don't want the box to deform more then 1mm due to rubber band force, from the force gauge i see that it requires 0.067 bar to deform box by 1mm.

Also there is a mass in box weighing 5 kg. so now to hold the two box parts with 5 kg mass when i am lifting the box just with the top half of box. How do i select the rubber band? how do i determine the force it should exert on the box to hold it together without deforming box more than 1mm.

Rubber band calculations any? Any place i could find any references or formula for something like this. you help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If this is a real concern, I suggest trial and error.

I can't do trial and error also by any chance does anyone know from standard rubber band sizes what force is exerted by the specific rubber band.

You say you don't want the box to deform, yet want to lift by the top with a 5kg weight inside.

You can calculate the minimum width of the band so that when lifting the box by the top, the bottom will not have a pressure above your force gauge figure. Most of the force and pressure will be at the corners when the band meets the bottom ( and NOT the whole area of the band covering the bottom). You will have to estimate that area, so that the corner does not crinkle.

I also assume you have taken into account of deflection the bottom area will have by supporting a 5 kg mass. Is that less or more than your 1 mm force gauge deflection.

I use latex rubber tubing for launching radio control model gliders. I use different diameter tubing depending on the weight of the model I'm trying to launch. Here are some sample data points for strain versus tension, based on the unstretched cross-sectional area of the tubing. Note that a strain of 100% means the total length of the tubing has been doubled from it's original length. As an example, 300% strain with 60 feet of tubing means that one end of the tubing was pulled 180 feet away from it's original position, increasing the total distance of the tubing to 240 feet. At around 400% strain, some permanent deformation takes place, so it's not recommended. 350% or less hasn't resulted in any noticable permanent effect.

Code:
strain    tension
     0% =   0 lb / in^2
    50% =  70 lb / in^2
   100% =  95 lb / in^2
   150% = 115 lb / in^2
   200% = 135 lb / in^2
   250% = 160 lb / in^2
   300% = 175 lb / in^2
   350% = 195 lb / in^2
   400% = 205 lb / in^2  (not recommended).

The issue with a rubber band is there is a limited choice of lenghts and cross-sectional area. You could use multiple rubber bands to spread out the load.

Last edited:
Dimensions of the box would be required if you weren't allowed to cut the rubber band. By cutting the rubber band you could tie it therefore allowing you to set how tight the band is

Related to Calculate Rubber Band Force to Hold 5 kg Box Without Deforming >1mm

1. How do you calculate the force of a rubber band to hold a 5 kg box without deforming it more than 1 mm?

The force of a rubber band can be calculated using the formula F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement. In this case, x would be 1 mm, and the weight of the box, 5 kg, would be the force required. Therefore, the equation can be rewritten as 5 kg = k(0.001 m). Solving for k gives us a spring constant of 5000 N/m.

2. What factors affect the force of a rubber band?

The force of a rubber band can be affected by several factors, including the thickness and elasticity of the rubber, the length of the band, and the weight or force applied to the band. The surface that the rubber band is stretched over can also impact the force, as slick surfaces may allow the band to stretch more easily.

3. Can a rubber band hold more weight if it is stretched further?

Yes, the further a rubber band is stretched, the greater the force it can provide. This is because the displacement (x) in the force equation (F = kx) increases, resulting in a higher force being produced.

4. Will the force of a rubber band change over time?

Yes, the force of a rubber band can change over time due to factors such as temperature, humidity, and wear and tear on the band. These changes can affect the elasticity and strength of the rubber, resulting in a different force being produced.

5. How can I test the force of a rubber band?

To test the force of a rubber band, you will need a spring scale or force gauge. Attach one end of the rubber band to a fixed object, such as a table, and the other end to the scale. Slowly stretch the band until it reaches the desired displacement (1 mm in this case) and record the force displayed on the scale. Repeat this process multiple times and take the average to get a more accurate measurement.