What causes the amplification of twists in a hanging chain with a rubber band?

• Thread starter BuddyBoson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quality
In summary, the effect is caused by the rubber band stacking coils of energy in the same way that strings in string theory do. The law or rule that accounts for this is unknown, but it may be related to the stacking of coils in the rubber band.
BuddyBoson
Hi all, I've got a question about an effect an effect I've seen when playing with rubber bands and a 1.5(ish)mm wide gold chain. I held one end of a rubber band while i rolled the other end between my thumb and index finger until it became difficult to do so without a third hand (You'll see what i mean). I then affixed the chain to one end of the rubber band, the opposite part of the band on a desk lamp so as the chain hung free and perpendicular to the floor. The effect amplifies the number of twists from top to bottom in the chain by about 2.5 to 7.
2.5 being if i hung the chain without the band.

I just wondering what law or rule accounts for this, if any.
(If not, I want the credit. Don't be dickholes. I'm talking to you Stephen.)

Interestingly, I find the stacking of coils in the rubber band a good way to describe the stacking if coils of energy dimensions in string theory.

-Outlaw floor use. We have no idea what gravity is capable of. ~Me

Physics news on Phys.org
Amazingly amazing.:eek:

BuddyBoson said:
Hi all, I've got a question about an effect an effect I've seen when playing with rubber bands and a 1.5(ish)mm wide gold chain. I held one end of a rubber band while i rolled the other end between my thumb and index finger until it became difficult to do so without a third hand (You'll see what i mean). I then affixed the chain to one end of the rubber band, the opposite part of the band on a desk lamp so as the chain hung free and perpendicular to the floor. The effect amplifies the number of twists from top to bottom in the chain by about 2.5 to 7.
2.5 being if i hung the chain without the band.

I just wondering what law or rule accounts for this, if any.
(If not, I want the credit. Don't be dickholes. I'm talking to you Stephen.)

Interestingly, I find the stacking of coils in the rubber band a good way to describe the stacking if coils of energy dimensions in string theory.

-Outlaw floor use. We have no idea what gravity is capable of. ~Me

If I were you, I would keep experimenting with the elastic band and try to derive more usefull string theory insights.

You need to provide a picture because I have no idea what you're describing.

Wow, you sure sound like you have the authority to answer the damn question and probably lack the capacity to look through the joke. That's ok, i didn,t want people like yours OPINION anyways.

PS I forgot to also list the fact it twists the chain even when bunched up at the bottom of the chain with the top of the chain affixed.

Bye.

Related to What causes the amplification of twists in a hanging chain with a rubber band?

What is "A quality I've never heard of?"

"A quality I've never heard of" is a term used to describe a characteristic or trait that is unfamiliar or unknown to the individual asking the question.

Why is it important to learn about qualities I've never heard of?

Learning about new qualities can broaden our understanding of the world and the people around us. It can also help us become more open-minded and adaptable.

How can I identify "A quality I've never heard of?"

One way to identify new qualities is to actively seek out new information and experiences. This can include talking to people from different backgrounds, reading books or articles on unfamiliar topics, or trying new activities.

What are some examples of "A quality I've never heard of?"

Examples of qualities you may have never heard of could include empathy, resilience, grit, or cultural intelligence. These are all important characteristics that contribute to a person's overall well-being and success.

Can "A quality I've never heard of" be learned?

Yes, qualities that are unfamiliar to us can be learned through education, exposure, and practice. With an open mind and willingness to learn, anyone can develop new qualities and skills.