Calculate qout: Angle of Reflection in Two Mirrors

In summary: In this case, the hint might be to think about what "normal to the surface" means and what you know about angles in a triangle. You might also want to look for a formula that will solve the problem for you.
pooka
Light is reflected by two flat mirrors that have an angle q = 114 degrees between them. If the initial ray makes an angle qin = 66 degress with respect to the normal, what is qout?

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4791/mirrorxz9.th.png

I know that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection, so I thought that qout would also be 66 degrees, but that is not the answer, so i am a bit confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
it's 66 degrees. 180-114-66

thanks! another mirror question that i hv:
What is the minimum height a plane mirror must have so that a 1.62 m tall woman can see her entire body in the mirror?
I thought that it was just 1.62 m, but it's wrong. I haven't been able to find a formula that will help me solve this.

Hi pooka,

pooka said:
Light is reflected by two flat mirrors that have an angle q = 114 degrees between them. If the initial ray makes an angle qin = 66 degress with respect to the normal, what is qout?

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4791/mirrorxz9.th.png

I know that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection, so I thought that qout would also be 66 degrees, but that is not the answer, so i am a bit confused.

The angle of incidence equalling the angle of reflection applies to one reflection at one mirror. In other words, the first mirror has equal angles of incidence and reflection, and the second mirror has equal angles of incidence of reflection. But the incident angle from one mirror is not equal to the reflection angle of another (unless it's a coincidence).

To relate the two sets of angles, you have to use geometry. Think about what the "normal to the surface" means, and also what you know about the angles in a triangle. What do you get?

Last edited by a moderator:
pooka said:
What is the minimum height a plane mirror must have so that a 1.62 m tall woman can see her entire body in the mirror?
I thought that it was just 1.62 m, but it's wrong. I haven't been able to find a formula that will help me solve this.

Best to draw a picture of what is going on. Is there anything in the problem statement about where her eyes are located?

pooka said:

it must be 0.81 m

chukie said:
it's 66 degrees. 180-114-66

oops sorry i made a mistake the angle is 48. 90-66=24 then 180-24-114=42 the 90-42=48

da_vinci said:
it must be ___ m

It's customary to provide hints, rather than answers, for homework problems.

Related to Calculate qout: Angle of Reflection in Two Mirrors

1. What is the formula for calculating the angle of reflection in two mirrors?

The formula for calculating the angle of reflection in two mirrors is: Angle of Reflection = Angle of Incidence + Angle between two mirrors.

2. How do you determine the angle of incidence in two mirrors?

The angle of incidence in two mirrors can be determined by drawing a line from the object to the point where it reflects off the first mirror, and then drawing a line from that point to the point where it reflects off the second mirror. The angle between these two lines is the angle of incidence.

3. Can the angle of reflection in two mirrors be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the angle of reflection in two mirrors cannot be greater than 90 degrees. This is because the angle of incidence cannot be greater than 90 degrees, and the angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence in a perfect reflection.

4. How does the distance between the two mirrors affect the angle of reflection?

The distance between the two mirrors does not affect the angle of reflection. This is because the angle of reflection only depends on the angle of incidence and the angle between the two mirrors, not the actual distance between them.

5. What is the difference between the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection?

The angle of incidence is the angle at which light hits a mirror, while the angle of reflection is the angle at which the light reflects off the mirror. In a perfect reflection, these two angles will be equal.