Calculate Pressure Drop of Air Across an Opening

In summary, the speaker is trying to determine the pressure drop of air across an opening, specifically a louvred roller door with small rectangular openings that act as a perforated panel between an outdoor area and a car park. They mention a velocity of 0.4 m/s for a flow rate of 3,000 L/s and an opening of 8.4 m2, but note that the velocity increases to 0.45 m/s with a free area of 80%. They also inquire about the possibility of testing or looking up the characteristics of the pre-manufactured door.
Futsal1st
How do I determine the pressure drop of air across an opening? For example if I have 3,000 L/s (3 m3/s) and an opening of 8.4 m2 I know the velocity is 0.4 m/s. If the free area is 80%, the velocity increases to 0.45 m/s. What I'd like to cal is the pressure drop in each case.

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
It would depend on the characteristics of the opening. Is it a louver of some sort? Can you test it?

Its a louvred roller door.

Is it pre-manufactured? Can you look up its characteristics? And you didn't answer my other question...

Sorry 'bout that.

Its a car park roller door that has small openings (almost rectangular)about 5mm high and 50mm long. It acts like a perforated panel between the outdoor and the car park.

Related to Calculate Pressure Drop of Air Across an Opening

1. How is pressure drop of air across an opening calculated?

Pressure drop of air across an opening is calculated by using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the velocity, density, and elevation change of the air. The equation is as follows:

Pressure drop = (density * velocity^2) / 2 + density * gravity * elevation change

2. What factors affect the pressure drop of air across an opening?

The pressure drop of air across an opening can be affected by several factors such as the size and shape of the opening, the velocity of the air, the density of the air, and the elevation change. Other factors like the temperature and viscosity of the air can also have an impact on the pressure drop.

3. How does the size of the opening affect the pressure drop of air?

The size of the opening plays a crucial role in determining the pressure drop of air across an opening. Generally, a larger opening will result in a lower pressure drop, as the air has more space to flow through and the velocity decreases. On the other hand, a smaller opening will result in a higher pressure drop due to the increased velocity of the air.

4. Can the pressure drop of air across an opening be reduced?

Yes, the pressure drop of air across an opening can be reduced by increasing the size of the opening, reducing the velocity of the air, or decreasing the density of the air. Other methods such as installing flow control devices or using air deflectors can also help to reduce the pressure drop.

5. What is the purpose of calculating the pressure drop of air across an opening?

The calculation of pressure drop of air across an opening is important in various engineering applications, such as HVAC systems, ventilation design, and air flow control. It helps to determine the efficiency and performance of these systems and ensure that they are functioning properly. It also helps to identify and troubleshoot any issues with air flow in a particular system.