Calculate phase shift using transfer function

In summary, the phase angle at very low frequencies is ψ=arc tan(img(ω)/real(ω)), where img(ω) is the image of ω under the transfer function.
z.gary

Homework Statement

Given that you have found the following transfer function for a circuit, H(jω), what is the phase at very low frequencies?
(jωRC-ω2LC)/((1-ω2LC) + jωRC)
a:∏
b:-∏/2
c:+∏/2
d:0

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the phase angle is ψ=arc tan(img(ω)/real(ω)), so i eliminated the terms in denominate with ω since the frequency is low, and i got: -ω^2LC+jωRC, then i put it into the equation: arc tan(ωRC/ω^2LC) and have no idea what to do with it. can someone tell me how to solve this arc tan equation? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi z.gary, welcome to Physics Forums.

You usually can treat the numerator and denominator separately. Find their separate angles for w << 1, then subtract the denominator angle from that of the numerator.

z.gary said:

Homework Statement

Given that you have found the following transfer function for a circuit, H(jω), what is the phase at very low frequencies?
(jωRC-ω2LC)/((1-ω2LC) + jωRC)
a:∏
b:-∏/2
c:+∏/2
d:0

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the phase angle is ψ=arc tan(img(ω)/real(ω)), so i eliminated the terms in denominate with ω since the frequency is low, and i got: -ω^2LC+jωRC, then i put it into the equation: arc tan(ωRC/ω^2LC) and have no idea what to do with it. can someone tell me how to solve this arc tan equation? thanks.

Your approach is good but not 100%.

The denominator is indeed 1. So that phase angle is zero.

But the phase of the numerator is actually arc tan wRC/(-w^2 LC) = arc tan R/(-wL).
So as w → 0 what is arc tan R/(-wL)?

[Note carefully how I wrote the last equation. In general you have to respect the sign of the arc tan argument including whether the sign belongs in the numerator or denominator of the argument. In this case it doesn't matter but in general it does: arc tan (-x/y) is generally not the same as arc tan (x/-y).]

Draw the angle in polar coordinates to get your answer.

Related to Calculate phase shift using transfer function

What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system in the frequency domain. It describes how the system responds to different frequencies of input signals.

How do you calculate the phase shift using a transfer function?

To calculate the phase shift using a transfer function, you first need to convert the transfer function into polar form. Then, you can determine the phase angle by finding the angle of the complex number in the denominator of the transfer function. This angle represents the phase shift of the system.

What is the unit of measurement for phase shift?

The unit of measurement for phase shift is degrees (°) or radians (rad). These units represent the amount of delay or advance in the output signal compared to the input signal.

Can the phase shift be negative?

Yes, the phase shift can be negative. A negative phase shift indicates that the output signal is lagging behind the input signal, while a positive phase shift means the output signal is leading the input signal.

Is the phase shift the same for all frequencies?

No, the phase shift is not the same for all frequencies. It can vary depending on the transfer function and the characteristics of the system. Some systems may have a constant phase shift for all frequencies, while others may have a varying phase shift.