Calculate Molar Specific Heat of Substance: 284J, 22.0°C to 39.5°C

In summary, the specific heat of a substance with a mass per mole of 55 g/mol is 507.14 J/[kg(K)]. When 284 J is added to a 32.0 g sample of this substance, its temperature rises from 22.0°C to 39.5°C. To find the specific heat, we use the equation Q = mcΔT and the information that 1 mol of the substance has a mass of 55 g. However, this calculation is incorrect and it is necessary to find the mass of 1 mol in kilograms before proceeding.
G-reg

Homework Statement

A certain substance has a mass per mole of 55 g/mol. When 284 J is added as heat to a 32.0 g sample of this material, its temperature rises from 22.0°C to 39.5°C

And I know that the specific heat of this substance is 507.14 J/[kg(K)]

Homework Equations

Q = mc[tex]\Delta[/tex]T

The Attempt at a Solution

55 g/mol * (1/32g) = 1.71875mol

284J/[(1.71875mol)/(39.5-22)] = 9.44 J/[mol(K)]

however..this is wrong and now I'm not sure where to go..help pleeeease!

Physics news on Phys.org
G-reg said:

Homework Statement

A certain substance has a mass per mole of 55 g/mol. When 284 J is added as heat to a 32.0 g sample of this material, its temperature rises from 22.0°C to 39.5°C

And I know that the specific heat of this substance is 507.14 J/[kg(K)]

I assume you used the information to find that.

[tex]c= 507.14 \frac{J}{kgK}[/tex]

for the substance, 1 mol has how much mass in kg?

The molar specific heat of a substance, also known as its molar heat capacity, is defined as the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one mole of the substance by one degree Kelvin (or Celsius). It is calculated by dividing the heat added (Q) by the change in temperature (ΔT) and the number of moles (n) of the substance:

C = Q/(nΔT)

In this case, we know that the heat added (Q) is 284 J, the change in temperature (ΔT) is (39.5-22) = 17.5°C (or 17.5 K), and the number of moles (n) is 1.71875 mol (as calculated in your attempt at a solution). Plugging these values into the equation, we get:

C = (284 J)/[(1.71875 mol)(17.5 K)] = 9.44 J/[mol(K)]

This is the correct molar specific heat of the substance. However, you have incorrectly converted the units in your calculation. The specific heat you have calculated is in J/molK, not J/kgK. To convert to J/kgK, you would need to divide by the molar mass (55 g/mol) and multiply by the mass of the sample (32.0 g):

9.44 J/[mol(K)] * (32.0 g)/(55 g/mol) = 5.47 J/[kg(K)]

This is the specific heat of the substance in J/kgK, which is equivalent to 507.14 J/[kg(K)] as given in the problem statement.

In summary, your calculation for the molar specific heat was correct, but you just needed to be careful with your units when converting to the specific heat in J/kgK. I hope this helps clarify the solution for you.

Related to Calculate Molar Specific Heat of Substance: 284J, 22.0°C to 39.5°C

1. What is the formula for calculating molar specific heat?

The formula for calculating molar specific heat is Q/mΔT, where Q is the heat absorbed or released, m is the mass of the substance, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. How do you convert joules to calories?

To convert joules to calories, you can use the conversion factor 1 cal = 4.184 J.

3. What is the unit for molar specific heat?

The unit for molar specific heat is J/mol∙K (joules per mole per Kelvin).

4. Can you calculate molar specific heat without knowing the mass of the substance?

No, molar specific heat cannot be calculated without knowing the mass of the substance. It is a measure of the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one mole of a substance by one degree Kelvin.

5. How do I find the change in temperature when calculating molar specific heat?

The change in temperature can be found by subtracting the initial temperature from the final temperature. In this case, it would be 39.5°C - 22.0°C = 17.5°C.