Calculate int_0^infinity x^3/(e^x -1) dx

• Thread starter Benny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dx
In summary, the person is trying to solve a problem that asks them to find S, the sum of a geometric series. They obtained the sum but are having trouble evaluating the integral. They are using the binomial theorem to expand the integrand and then are able to evaluate the resulting sum.
Benny
Hi, can someone help me out with this question.

Using [tex]f(t) = t^2 = \frac{{\pi ^2 }}{3} + 4\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{{\left( { - 1} \right)^n }}{{n^2 }}} \cos \left( {nt} \right), - \pi < t < \pi [/tex] and Parseval's Theorem deduce the identity [tex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{1}{{n^4 }}} = \frac{{\pi ^4 }}{{90}}[/tex].

Hence calculate [tex]S = \int\limits_0^\infty {\frac{{x^3 }}{{e^x - 1}}} dx
[/tex]

Hint: Expand the denominator as a power series in exp(-x) and integrate term by term.

I obtained the sum but I can't evaluate the integral.

If I multiply the numerator and the denominator by exp(-x) the integrand becomes

[tex]
\frac{{x^3 e^{ - x} }}{{1 - e^{ - x} }}
[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac{{\sum\limits_{k = 0}^\infty {\frac{{\left( { - 1} \right)^k }}{{k!}}} x^{k + 3} }}{{\sum\limits_{k = 1}^\infty {\frac{{\left( { - 1} \right)^{k + 1} }}{{k!}}} x^k }}
[/tex]

When I write out the first few terms in the summations, no terms appear to cancel because the starting index for the summations are different. I'm not sure how to do this question so any help would be good thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral is
[tex]S = \int\limits_0^\infty {\frac{{x^3 }}{{e^x - 1}}} dx[/tex]
which you wrote as
[tex] \int\limits_0^\infty {\frac{x^3 e^{-x}}{1-e^{-x}} dx[/tex]
[tex] \int\limits_0^\infty \left(x^3 e^{-x}\right)\left(1-e^{-x} \right)^{-1} dx[/tex]
Now, expand
[tex]\left(1-e^{-x}\right)^{-1}[/tex]
with the binomial theorem (don't use the taylor expansion for [itex]e^{-x}[/tex] in the numerator like you did), and integrate term by term (ie, integrate the nth term and sum it. You'll need to repeatedly use integration by parts). Then you'll be able to evaluate the resulting sum using the identity you proved.

Thanks for the response. I found out how to do this question from someone a day or two ago. Since 0 < exp(-x) < 1 for positive x I can use the geometric series to get a nice expression for the integrand. Then all I need to do is integrate by parts 3 times and switch the order of summation and integration. There's a slight error in my working at the moment but I should be able to fix it up.

Related to Calculate int_0^infinity x^3/(e^x -1) dx

1. What is the purpose of calculating int_0^infinity x^3/(e^x -1) dx?

The purpose of calculating this integral is to determine the area under the curve of the function f(x) = x^3/(e^x -1) from x = 0 to x = infinity. This can be useful in various applications, such as in physics or engineering, where this integral represents the total energy or power output of a system.

2. Is there a closed-form solution for this integral?

No, there is not a closed-form solution for this integral. It is considered an improper integral, meaning that the upper limit of integration is infinity, and it cannot be solved using basic integration techniques. However, it can be approximated using numerical methods.

3. What is the value of the integral int_0^infinity x^3/(e^x -1) dx?

The exact value of this integral is unknown, but it can be approximated to be approximately 1.20206. This value is known as the Apéry's constant and has been calculated to over 200 billion decimal places.

4. How is this integral related to the Riemann zeta function?

This integral is closely related to the Riemann zeta function, ζ(s), which is defined as the sum of the reciprocal of the s-th powers of all positive integers. This integral can be expressed in terms of the Riemann zeta function as int_0^infinity x^3/(e^x -1) dx = 2ζ(4).

5. What are some real-world applications of this integral?

This integral has applications in various fields, such as thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and quantum physics. For example, in thermodynamics, it can be used to calculate the total energy of a blackbody radiation, and in statistical mechanics, it represents the average energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator at a given temperature.