Calculate how many Kgs of water flows through the plant

• Thread starter gigglin_horse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plant Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the amount of water flowing through a power station based on its efficiency and dissipated thermal energy. The specific heat of water is given to calculate the amount of energy needed to heat one kilogram of water by three degrees. The available energy is already provided in the problem and the efficiency is not needed for the calculation.
gigglin_horse

Homework Statement

"A power station with an efficiency of 0.4 generates 10^8W of electric power and dissipates 1.5*10^8W of thermal energy to the cooling water that flows through it. Knowing that the specific heat of water in SI units is 4184J/KgºC, calculate how many Kgs of water flows through the plant each second if the water is heated through 3 Celsius degrees"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea. This is way above me.
Someone please explain this to me!

Physics news on Phys.org

Let's look at any given second. Then how much energy is put into the water? The specific heat of water is given, so you know that it takes 4184 * 3 = 12552 J to heat one kilogram of water by three degrees, so you should then be able to calculate how many kilograms you can heat with the available energy.

I understand so far, but I don't understand the available energy.
Efficiency = T(hot)-T(cold)/T(hot) ...right?

What is the available energy?I tried
(1.5x10^8)-(10^8)/(1.5x10^8)=0.333333

Am I headed in the right direction?

They already tell you how much is going to thermal dissipation in the water. The efficiency isn't really needed.

Figure the total number of joules dissipated and thence how many kilograms are needed to do it given the number of joules that 1 kg heated 3° carries.

Related to Calculate how many Kgs of water flows through the plant

1. How do I calculate the amount of water flowing through a plant?

To calculate the amount of water flowing through a plant, you will need to measure the rate of water flow (in liters per hour) and the duration of time the water flows (in hours). Multiply the rate of water flow by the duration of time to get the total amount of water (in liters) flowing through the plant.

2. What is the unit of measurement for water flow?

The unit of measurement for water flow is typically liters per hour (L/hr) or cubic meters per hour (m3/hr). However, other units such as gallons per hour (gal/hr) or gallons per minute (gal/min) may also be used.

3. How can I measure the rate of water flow in a plant?

The easiest way to measure the rate of water flow in a plant is using a flow meter, which is a device that measures the flow of a liquid. Alternatively, you can also measure the amount of water in a container before and after a certain time period to determine the rate of flow.

4. What factors can affect the amount of water flowing through a plant?

Several factors can affect the amount of water flowing through a plant, including the plant's size, type and health, the type of soil and its moisture content, the weather conditions, and any potential blockages in the water source or irrigation system.

5. How does knowing the amount of water flowing through a plant benefit us?

Knowing the amount of water flowing through a plant can help us understand the plant's water needs and ensure it is receiving the appropriate amount of water. It can also help us identify any issues with the plant's irrigation system and make necessary adjustments to optimize water usage and plant growth.