Calculate Horsepower & Torque w/ Break-In Stand for 68 Mustang

• Thread starter stryped
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary: There are quite a few apps that give HP, quarter mile times etc, there are even dedicated devices in automotive stores. These all depend on accurate calibration and making consistent runs but are OK for development purposes. If you want to build a dyno, you will need to think of the best way to dissipate the power and measure that power or the torque. Mechanically you can use a brake or electrically a load bank, either way there will be heat. With an electric load it is probably easier to measure the power.I don't think cheap and easy will get you anything precise or reliable. If you are looking to accurately measure horsepower as a function
stryped
Is there a cheap and easy way to calculate horsepower and/or torque for an engine out of a car? I am restoring a 68 mustang and would like to run an engine on a break in stand I will build. It would be nice to be able to use it to tune the engine.
I read somewhere something about placing a magnet on the engine flywheel, measuring the rpm, then somehow calculating torque out of that but I am not sure.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think cheap and easy will get you anything precise or reliable. If you are looking to accurately measure horsepower as a function of the engine rpm, then I think you are in for a big project. If you are looking to just ballpark the max horsepower of the engine, you could do the following. Find a long straight road that is not in use, floor the gas, and accelerate the car over some distance ##d##. After you cross that distance, record the car's speed ##s##. Also look up the car's mass ##m##. The average power will be
$$\bar{P}=\frac{ms^{3}}{4d}$$

stryped said:
Is there a cheap and easy way to calculate horsepower and/or torque for an engine out of a car?
Have you looked at inexpensive in-car "dynomometers"? Here's an article testing their accuracy and discussing tradeoffs. If you are looking mainly to do A/B tuning comparisons, they may be a viable way to go...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/do-inexpensive-performance-meters-work-feature

berkeman said:
Have you looked at inexpensive in-car "dynomometers"? Here's an article testing their accuracy and discussing tradeoffs. If you are looking mainly to do A/B tuning comparisons, they may be a viable way to go...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/do-inexpensive-performance-meters-work-feature
Interesting, I did not know about these. It says most use an internal accelerometer. I wonder if there are any phone apps which would work the same way.

Yes, when I did the Google search that led me to that link, one of the other links was comparing an iPhone app to those in-car products. I think my Google search was something like In-Car Dynamometer...

NFuller said:
Interesting, I did not know about these. It says most use an internal accelerometer. I wonder if there are any phone apps which would work the same way.

There are quite a few apps that give HP, quarter mile times etc, there are even dedicated devices in automotive stores. These all depend on accurate calibration and making consistent runs but are OK for development purposes. If you want to build a dyno, you will need to think of the best way to dissipate the power and measure that power or the torque. Mechanically you can use a brake or electrically a load bank, either way there will be heat. With an electric load it is probably easier to measure the power.

NFuller said:
I don't think cheap and easy will get you anything precise or reliable. If you are looking to accurately measure horsepower as a function of the engine rpm, then I think you are in for a big project. If you are looking to just ballpark the max horsepower of the engine, you could do the following. Find a long straight road that is not in use, floor the gas, and accelerate the car over some distance ##d##. After you cross that distance, record the car's speed ##s##. Also look up the car's mass ##m##. The average power will be
$$\bar{P}=\frac{ms^{3}}{4d}$$
The engine is not in the car. I wanted to make an engine break in stand and be able to utilize some sort of torque/poer messurement on that. I am just looking for a way to do befoe and after tuning comparing different mods

Last edited by a moderator:
Without a load on the engine the torque will be pretty much zero. So first problem is to make a load/brake that can handle the likely power. Then if you mount the engine so that you can measure the reaction torque you can calculate the power as...

Power = torque * angular velocity

(In the right units)

Related to Calculate Horsepower & Torque w/ Break-In Stand for 68 Mustang

1. How do I calculate the horsepower and torque of my 68 Mustang using a break-in stand?

To calculate the horsepower and torque of your 68 Mustang, you will need a dynamometer or break-in stand. First, make sure your car is securely fastened to the stand. Then, start the engine and run it at a specific RPM while measuring the torque with a torque meter. Next, use the formula: horsepower = (torque x RPM) / 5252 to calculate the horsepower.

2. What is a break-in stand and why is it important for calculating horsepower and torque?

A break-in stand is a device used to secure a car's wheels and allow the engine to run at a specific RPM. This is important for calculating horsepower and torque because it ensures that the engine is running at a consistent and controlled speed, making the measurements more accurate.

3. Can I use a break-in stand for any type of car?

Generally, break-in stands are designed for specific types of cars or engines. It is important to use a stand that is compatible with your 68 Mustang's engine and transmission to ensure accurate measurements.

4. How long should the break-in process be before calculating horsepower and torque?

The break-in process can vary depending on the type of car and engine. It is recommended to follow the manufacturer's instructions for your specific car. Generally, the break-in process can take anywhere from 20 minutes to a few hours.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the accuracy of horsepower and torque calculations on a break-in stand?

Yes, there are a few other factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculations. These include variations in temperature, altitude, and humidity. It is important to try and control these factors as much as possible while using a break-in stand for accurate measurements.