Calculate heat required to melt ingot

• Thread starter Parsifal1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary: That looks much better, except it's 390000 * 10, not 360000.Always proofread your work to avoid silly mistakes like this.
Parsifal1

Homework Statement

Given that aluminium has a specific heat of 0.9KJ/KgK, a melting point of 660 degrees Celsius and a latent heat of fusion of 390KJ/Kg, calculate the heat energy required to melt a 10Kg ingot, starting from a room temperature of 20 degrees Celsius.

Homework Equations

dQ= m c dt
q=Lm m

The Attempt at a Solution

(10)(0.9)(640)=5760KJ

I get a different answer using the latent heat equation, so which should be used for working out the heat energy for melting and why are both specific and latent heat given, if not as a redherring?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you heat the ingot to 660C using 5760 kJ, has it melted yet?

Likes Parsifal1
Is heating the ingot to 660 °C sufficient to melt it?

Please note that the prefix kilo is written with a lowercase k.

DrClaude said:
Is heating the ingot to 660 °C sufficient to melt it?

Please note that the prefix kilo is written with a lowercase k.
660 is the melting point of aluminium. If it is the case that the first equation is sufficient then what is with the fact that they mention latent heat aswell?

Is it sufficient to bring a substance to its melting point for it to melt? What is the definition of latent heat?

Parsifal1 said:
660 is the melting point of aluminium. If it is the case that the first equation is sufficient then what is with the fact that they mention latent heat aswell?
Do you understand what latent heat of fusion means?

SteamKing said:
Do you understand what latent heat of fusion means?
'The specific latent heat of fusion, l, of a substance is the heat needed to change a mass of 1 kg the substance from a solid at its melting point into liquid at the same temperature.'

So I need to add the heat to raise it to boiling point to the heat to melt it?

5760kJ+(390000*10)=3905760000J

Parsifal1 said:
'

Yes, but check those units.

Likes Parsifal1
Parsifal1 said:
'The specific latent heat of fusion, l, of a substance is the heat needed to change a mass of 1 kg the substance from a solid at its melting point into liquid at the same temperature.'

Yes.

But you've made some kind of silly mistake in the calculation above.

The heat required to raise the aluminum to the melting point (not the boiling point) is 5760 kJ. Once the aluminum is at the melting point, it takes 390 kJ/kg to turn solid aluminum into molten aluminum.

Likes Parsifal1
SteamKing said:
Yes.

But you've made some kind of silly mistake in the calculation above.

The heat required to raise the aluminum to the melting point (not the boiling point) is 5760 kJ. Once the aluminum is at the melting point, it takes 390 kJ/kg to turn solid aluminum into molten aluminum.

5760000+(360000*10)=9660000J

Parsifal1 said:
5760000+(360000*10)=9660000J
That looks much better, except it's 390000 * 10, not 360000.

Always proofread your work to avoid silly mistakes like this.

Likes Parsifal1
Parsifal1 said:

Homework Statement

Given that aluminium has a specific heat of 0.9KJ/KgK, a melting point of 660 degrees Celsius and a latent heat of fusion of 390KJ/Kg, calculate the heat energy required to melt a 10Kg ingot, starting from a room temperature of 20 degrees Celsius.

Homework Equations

dQ= m c dt
q=Lm m

The Attempt at a Solution

(10)(0.9)(640)=5760KJ

I get a different answer using the latent heat equation, so which should be used for working out the heat energy for melting and why are both specific and latent heat given, if not as a redherring?
First of all need to convert dt degree Celcius to Kelvin and calculate

8218.35 KJ is the correct answer

jeneng said:
First of all need to convert dt degree Celcius to Kelvin and calculate

8218.35 KJ is the correct answer
Why do you feel that you need to convert C to K in this problem.

Also, your answer is incorrect. Please show your work.

Also, you realize that this thread is over 5 years old, right? And the OP hasn't logged into Physics Forums for 3 years, right? And, in his final post, the OP got the correct answer.

Last edited:
I have a question. Does any textbook explain the latent heat of fusion using quantum theory, or have heat and temperature always been classical entities in physics?

Likes Delta2
docnet said:
I have a question. Does any textbook explain the latent heat of fusion using quantum theory, or have heat and temperature always been classical entities in physics?
You can understand it using statistical physics. There is no particular need to invoke quantum mechanics.

Likes docnet
If I understand this correctly; 1 kg aluminium requires aproximatly 1MJ to go from room temperature to liquid form?

So if I would like to make a thermal battery out of aluminium with the thermal capasity of 1MWh ( 1MWh = 3600 [s/h] * 1 [MWh] = 3600 MJ = 3,6 GJ), I would need 3,6 Ton of aluminium?

Inspiration from this youtube video:

Related to Calculate heat required to melt ingot

1. How do you calculate the heat required to melt an ingot?

The heat required to melt an ingot can be calculated using the formula Q = m x L, where Q is the heat required in joules, m is the mass of the ingot in kilograms, and L is the specific heat of the material in joules per kilogram per degree Celsius.

2. What is the specific heat of an ingot?

The specific heat of an ingot varies depending on the material it is made of. Generally, metals have a specific heat ranging from 0.1 to 0.6 joules per kilogram per degree Celsius. It is important to use the correct specific heat value for the material being melted in the calculation.

3. How do you determine the mass of an ingot?

The mass of an ingot can be determined by weighing it on a scale. Alternatively, if the dimensions of the ingot are known, the mass can be calculated using the formula density = mass/volume.

4. Can the heat required to melt an ingot be calculated for any material?

Yes, the heat required to melt an ingot can be calculated for any material as long as the specific heat and mass of the ingot are known. However, the melting point of the material must also be taken into consideration, as some materials require more heat to melt than others.

5. Are there any other factors that should be considered when calculating the heat required to melt an ingot?

Yes, in addition to the specific heat and mass of the ingot, it is also important to consider the latent heat of fusion. This is the amount of heat required to change the state of the material from solid to liquid. The latent heat of fusion can be added to the heat required to raise the temperature of the ingot to its melting point in order to get a more accurate calculation.