Calculate Fly's Path: gradients & curves in Space

• Thread starter tandoorichicken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary, the formula for calculating a fly's path in space involves using the principles of calculus, specifically the concept of gradients and curves. Gradients and curves play a crucial role in determining the fly's path, as they represent the direction of the steepest slope and can cause the fly to change direction or speed. With the right tools and knowledge, a fly's path in space can be accurately calculated, although there may be some margin of error. Air resistance, or drag, can significantly affect the fly's path and must be considered in calculations. This type of calculation has practical applications in aerospace engineering, robotics, and navigation systems.
tandoorichicken
"The temperature of space is given by [itex]\phi (x,y,z) = xy + xz [/itex]. A fly is flying in space and at each point (x,y,z) of its journey it flies in the direction [itex]\mathbf{F} (x,y,z)[/itex] in which the rate of increase of temperature is maximum.

(a.) Calculate F(x,y,z).
(b.) Find the curve along which the fly travels if it starts at the point (1,0,1).
"

For part (a), the direction in which the temperature changes is the same as that of the gradient of [itex]\phi[/itex], so
[tex]\mathbf{F}(x,y,z) = \nabla\phi (x,y,z) = (y+z)\mathbf{\hat{i}}+x\mathbf{\hat{j}}+x\mathbf{\hat{k}}[/tex]

It is part (b) that is giving me trouble. I just don't know where to begin. I'm sure if I had that much I could figure out the rest on my own.

Any help appreciated! (Final in four days)

Physics news on Phys.org
In part (b) you want to find the curve c(t) such that

F(c(t)) = c'(t)

and c(0) = (1, 0, 1)

tandoorichicken said:
"The temperature of space is given by [itex]\phi (x,y,z) = xy + xz [/itex]. A fly is flying in space and at each point (x,y,z) of its journey it flies in the direction [itex]\mathbf{F} (x,y,z)[/itex] in which the rate of increase of temperature is maximum.

(a.) Calculate F(x,y,z).
(b.) Find the curve along which the fly travels if it starts at the point (1,0,1).
"

For part (a), the direction in which the temperature changes is the same as that of the gradient of [itex]\phi[/itex], so
[tex]\mathbf{F}(x,y,z) = \nabla\phi (x,y,z) = (y+z)\mathbf{\hat{i}}+x\mathbf{\hat{j}}+x\mathbf{\hat{k}}[/tex]

It is part (b) that is giving me trouble. I just don't know where to begin. I'm sure if I had that much I could figure out the rest on my own.

Any help appreciated! (Final in four days)

[tex]\mathbf{F}(x,y,z) = \nabla\phi (x,y,z) = (y+z)\mathbf{\hat{i}}+x\mathbf{\hat{j}}+x\mathbf{\ hat{k}}[/tex]
points in the direction of flight, which is the same direction as the velocity vector. Since speed is not relevant, you can take "t" to be any parameter you like and then
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= \mathbf{F}_x= y+ z[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}= \mathbf{F}_y= x[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dz}{dt}= \mathbf{F}_z= x[/tex]
You need to solve those three equations with initial condition x(0)= 1, y(0)= 0, z(0)= 1. That will give you parametric equations (with t as the parameter) for the path of flight.

Related to Calculate Fly's Path: gradients & curves in Space

1. What is the formula for calculating a fly's path in space?

The formula for calculating a fly's path in space involves using the principles of calculus, specifically the concept of gradients and curves. This formula takes into account the fly's initial position, velocity, and acceleration, as well as any external forces acting on the fly.

2. How do gradients and curves affect a fly's path in space?

Gradients and curves play a crucial role in determining a fly's path in space. The gradient represents the direction of the steepest slope, which the fly will follow to move towards its destination. Curves, on the other hand, can cause the fly to change direction or speed as it moves through space.

3. Can a fly's path in space be accurately calculated?

Yes, with the right tools and knowledge, a fly's path in space can be accurately calculated. However, due to the unpredictable nature of a fly's movement and the complexity of the calculations involved, there may be some margin of error in the final result.

4. How does air resistance affect a fly's path in space?

Air resistance, or drag, can significantly affect a fly's path in space. As the fly moves through the air, it experiences a force that opposes its motion, causing it to slow down and change direction. This force must be taken into account when calculating the fly's path.

5. Are there any real-world applications for calculating a fly's path in space?

Yes, there are many practical applications for calculating a fly's path in space. For example, this type of calculation is crucial in aerospace engineering, where scientists and engineers use it to plan and design the flight paths of aircraft and spacecraft. It can also be used in robotics and navigation systems to predict and control the movements of small flying objects.