Calculate factor of safely on a steel bar

• Thread starter Girn261
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steel
This results in a very low stress and strain, which in turn leads to a large factor of safety. In summary, by calculating the stress, strain, ∆l, and factor of safety for a given load, diameter, length, and elastic modulus, we can see that the factor of safety is significantly large due to the small load and large area.
Girn261

Homework Statement

Calculate stress, strain, ∆l, factor of safety

Diameter=10cm
Length=10m
Load=600N
E=2256Gpa
Elastic limit=518Mpa

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Area=.7854x(.10^2)

Stress=load/area , 600N/.007854m^2 = 76.4Kpa

E = stress/strain , 2256x10^9Pa = 76394.19Pa/strain , strain = 3.386×10^-8

Strain=∆I/L , 3.386×10^-8 = ∆I/10m , ∆I = 3.386x10^-7

Factor of safety = elastic limit/Max working stress
518x10^6Pa/76394.19Pa = 6780.62

Why am I getting some a huge number for factor of safety? Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if you are doing anything wrong, it's just that 600 N is a very small load acting over a relatively large area.

Likes Girn261

Related to Calculate factor of safely on a steel bar

1. What is the factor of safety and why is it important?

The factor of safety is a measure of how much stronger a structure or material is compared to the maximum load it is expected to bear. It is important because it ensures that the structure or material can withstand unexpected or fluctuating loads without failing.

2. How do you calculate the factor of safety on a steel bar?

The factor of safety on a steel bar can be calculated by dividing the ultimate tensile strength (UTS) of the steel by the maximum load it is expected to bear. The result is a ratio that indicates how much stronger the steel is compared to the maximum load.

3. What is the recommended factor of safety for a steel bar?

The recommended factor of safety for a steel bar can vary depending on the application and industry standards. However, a commonly used factor of safety for steel structures is 3, meaning the steel is 3 times stronger than the maximum expected load.

4. How does the factor of safety affect the design of a steel bar?

The factor of safety plays a crucial role in the design of a steel bar as it determines the size and dimensions of the bar that are needed to withstand the expected loads. A higher factor of safety may require a larger and stronger steel bar, while a lower factor of safety may allow for a smaller and lighter bar.

5. What are some factors that can influence the factor of safety on a steel bar?

The factor of safety on a steel bar can be influenced by various factors such as the material properties of the steel (such as strength and ductility), the expected loads, the environment and conditions in which the steel bar will be used, and the level of uncertainty in the calculations and assumptions made.