Calculate Emf of Battery in Figure | Homework Problems and Solutions

In summary, to find the emf E of the battery at the lower left in the figure, you can label all currents, write out Kirchoff's current law for each junction, and Kirchoff's voltage law for each closed loop. This will give you the right number of equations to solve for the emf. If you are given one loop current, then there are two unknowns: the second loop's current and the voltage supply value. Watch out for the polarities of the voltage sources when writing the loop equations.
DrMcDreamy

Homework Statement

What is the emf E of the battery at the lower left in the figure? Answer in units of V.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6/82852928.png

Can someone guide me? I'm confused as to where to start. I think I am supposed go the route of the loop, but I am given the current as 3.54 A. How would I find the emf from there? TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Label all currents. Then, write out Kirchoff's current law for each junction, and Kirchoff's voltage law for each closed loop. That should give you the right number of equations to solve for the emf.

So would it be:

[tex]\epsilon[/tex]+(1.69x3.54)+(9.34x3.54)+(5.66x3.54)+(1.74x3.54)+11.88v=0
[tex]\epsilon[/tex]=-77.44

Okay, that's wrong, I only have one more chance to put in the correct answer, so how would I do this?

Write the loop equations for both loops. Watch out for the polarities of the voltage sources. You're given one loop current, so there are still just two unknowns: the second loop's current and the voltage supply value.

Related to Calculate Emf of Battery in Figure | Homework Problems and Solutions

What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromagnetic force. It is a measure of the electrical potential difference between two points in an electric circuit.

What are common sources of EMF?

Some common sources of EMF include power lines, electrical appliances, cell phones, and Wi-Fi routers.

What types of problems can arise with EMF homework?

Students may encounter problems involving calculating EMF, determining the direction of current flow, or understanding the relationship between EMF and resistance.

How can I approach solving EMF homework problems?

It is important to understand the basic principles of electromagnetism and to carefully read and analyze the given problem. Use equations and diagrams to help visualize the problem and work through the steps logically.

How can I check my answers for EMF homework problems?

You can use online calculators or consult with a classmate or teacher. You can also double-check your calculations and make sure your answer makes sense in the context of the problem.