Calculate divergence of <y^2,z^2,x^2> in cylindrical coords

In summary, the professor is asking for a vector function that takes the x, y, and z components, but the student doesn't know how to do it in cylindrical coordinates.
tub08918
Hi everyone

My professor just asked us a question that I can't get my head around. So we have the original vector in Cartesian format, <y^2,z^2,x^2>
Then I am asked to convert to cylindrical coordinates:

z= z;
θ==arctan(z^2/y^2);
r = \sqrt(y^4+z^4)

However , I am then asked to take the divergence and curl of these items, I have the formula for both but I don't know how to fit them in!

∇⋅v=1r∂∂r(rvr)+1r∂vθ∂θ+∂vz∂z

∇×v=(1r∂vz∂θ−∂vθ∂z)r^+(∂vr∂z−∂vz∂r)θ^+(1r∂∂r(rvθ)−1r∂vr∂θ)z^

For example, for div in tems of r, 1r∂∂r(r(sqrt(z^4+y^4))) which doesn't seem to work

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi tub,

Can it be that your original vector is actually a vector function $$\ <x, y, z > \rightarrow <y^2, \ z^2,\ x^2 >$$ which you have to convert to a vector function in cylindrical coordinates $$\ <\rho, \phi, z > \rightarrow <f_1 (\rho, \phi,z) ,\ f_2 (\rho, \phi,z), \ f_3 (\rho, \phi,z) > \text ? $$
The conversion (in my experience) goes like $$ \rho = \sqrt{x^2+y^2} \\ \phi = \arctan {y\over x} \quad ^{(*)} \\ z = z$$
(*) with a caveat for ##\phi = \pi + \arctan {y\over x} \ \ \text {if} \ \ x< 0 \ ## to ensure ##\phi \in [-\pi/2, \ \pi/2]## or something similar
and the reverse goes like $$x =\rho \cos\phi \\ y =\rho \sin \phi \\ z = z$$.​

so that for f3 for instance, you get something like ##z\rightarrow \rho^2\cos^2\phi## ?

once you have these fi you can let the operators go to work

Ohhhhhh you have t change the variables inside r so that they are also in cyl coordinates than you so much! Is there an upvote button on this site?

Appreciate your enthousiasm, but a) I have violated a PF rule by showing that example and b) you still have a lot of work to do !

and c) I am not sure, it just seems a sensible perception of your exercise

BvU said:
Appreciate your enthousiasm, but a) I have violated a PF rule by showing that example
I don't have a problem with what you did.
BvU said:
and b) you still have a lot of work to do !and c) I am not sure, it just seems a sensible perception of your exercise

Likes BvU
Ah Ok well thank you for your time!

Related to Calculate divergence of <y^2,z^2,x^2> in cylindrical coords

What is the formula for calculating divergence in cylindrical coordinates?

The formula for calculating divergence in cylindrical coordinates is ∇ · F = 1/r ∂(rfr)/∂r + 1/r ∂fθ/∂θ + ∂fz/∂z, where F = (fr, fθ, fz) and r, θ, and z are the cylindrical coordinates.

How do I convert a vector from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

To convert a vector from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z), use the following equations: r = √(x2 + y2), θ = arctan(y/x), and z = z.

How do I calculate the curl of a vector field in cylindrical coordinates?

The formula for calculating curl in cylindrical coordinates is ∇ × F = (1/r)(∂fz/∂θ - ∂fθ/∂z) er + (1/r ∂fr/∂z - ∂fz/∂r) eθ + (1/r)(∂(rfθ)/∂r - ∂fr/∂θ) ez, where er, eθ, and ez are unit vectors in the r, θ, and z directions respectively.

Can I use the same formula to calculate divergence in any coordinate system?

No, the formula for calculating divergence varies depending on the coordinate system being used. The formula for cylindrical coordinates is different from the formula for Cartesian coordinates, and both are different from the formula for spherical coordinates.

What is the physical interpretation of divergence in cylindrical coordinates?

In cylindrical coordinates, divergence represents the net flow of a vector field out of a closed surface per unit volume. It can also be interpreted as the amount of "source" or "sink" at a particular point in the field.