Calculate Dist from Dog to Column When Rope Breaks

• MHB
  • Thread starter leprofece
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max Rope
In summary, the formula for calculating the distance from a dog to a column when a rope breaks is distance = (length of rope)^2 - (distance from dog to column)^2, where the length of the rope and the distance from the dog to the column are measured in the same units. The length of the rope can be measured using a measuring tape or ruler. The weight of the dog does not affect the calculation of the distance. This formula can be used for any type of rope and column as long as the units of measurement are consistent, but may not be accurate for situations where the rope is stretched or angled. To prevent the rope from breaking, regularly inspect it for wear and tear, do not exceed the weight limit, securely
leprofece
a rope of 1.20 m length has at one end a tie slide and in another a collar that attaches to a dog. The rope is passed through the sliding laze and around a square column of 24 cm from side to keep the tied-up dog while his master departs; but the dog pulls rope, and manages to break it by the collar. Calculate the distance from the dog to the face of the column when the rope breaks.
answer 27,2 cmI have no idea how I can solve it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please draw a diagram. I am not sure what a "sliding laze" and a "square column of 24 cm from side" are.

Related to Calculate Dist from Dog to Column When Rope Breaks

1. What is the formula for calculating the distance from a dog to a column when a rope breaks?

The formula for calculating the distance from a dog to a column when a rope breaks is: distance = (length of rope)^2 - (distance from dog to column)^2, where the length of the rope and the distance from the dog to the column are measured in the same units.

2. How do I measure the length of the rope?

The length of the rope can be measured using a measuring tape or ruler. Simply stretch out the rope and measure from one end to the other in a straight line.

3. Do I need to know the weight of the dog to calculate the distance?

No, the weight of the dog does not affect the calculation of the distance. The formula only takes into account the length of the rope and the distance from the dog to the column.

4. Can I use this formula for any type of rope and column?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of rope and column as long as the units of measurement are consistent. However, it is important to note that this formula assumes a straight line between the dog and the column, and may not be accurate for situations where the rope is stretched or angled.

5. How can I prevent the rope from breaking in the first place?

To prevent the rope from breaking, make sure to regularly inspect the rope for any signs of wear and tear. Also, do not exceed the maximum weight limit of the rope and ensure that it is securely attached to the column and the dog's collar. It's also important to train the dog to not pull too hard on the rope to avoid unnecessary strain.