Calculate Density of Solid Object Floating in Water

In summary, a solid object is floating with 54% of its volume beneath the surface of the water. To find the object's density, we can use the formula density = mass/volume, but we do not have enough information to calculate it accurately. However, since the object is floating, its density must be less than 1 g/cm3, which is the density of water.
omgitsmonica

Homework Statement

A solid object floats with 54% of its volume beneath the surface of the water. What is the object’s density? Give answer in g/cm3.

Homework Equations

Density = mass/ volume

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the density must be more than one, because the object is floating somewhat, but I don't know how to calculate what the density is, exactly. If anyone has a better formula for this problem, I'd much appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: what is the density of water? And what does it mean when something is floating on water?

If the density of water is one, and its floating, than it must be less than one?

How do I figure out exactly what it is, though? I don't have the mass or the exact density or the volume, so my formula is useless...

Related to Calculate Density of Solid Object Floating in Water

1. What is density?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume of a substance. It is usually expressed in units of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm³) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m³).

2. How do you calculate density?

To calculate the density of a solid object floating in water, you would divide the mass of the object by its volume. This can be represented as the formula: Density = Mass/Volume.

3. Does the density of a solid object affect its ability to float in water?

Yes, the density of a solid object does affect its ability to float in water. Objects with a lower density than water will float, while objects with a higher density will sink.

4. How do you measure the mass of a solid object?

The mass of a solid object can be measured using a scale or balance. The object is placed on the scale and the reading will show the mass in units of grams or kilograms.

5. Can the density of a solid object floating in water change?

Yes, the density of a solid object floating in water can change if the object absorbs water or if the water temperature changes. This can alter the mass and volume of the object, affecting its overall density.